Re: Ah, it's 2d law time again (1/2)

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 21:44:50 EST

    This post is a response to Stephen Jones' long post of 27 MAR 00. Even
    though much material has been excised it has still ballooned to such a
    size that it has been divided into 2 posts. I hope very much that such
    extensive responses will not be necessary in any subsequent discussion
    with Stephen about this issue. If so, I will not have the time or
    stamina to do it.

    <snip preliminary discussion of my post of 14 AUG 97 explaining why the
    cosmic argument mentioned by Ratzsch is invalid>

    SJ>Thanks to David for this. But *1996* and *1997* (below) hardly qualifies
    >for me "repeatedly bringing the quote up"!

    Huh? What does the date of the correction have to do with it?

    SJ>And reading David's 1997 post now, it does not say that the "*both* the cosmi
    >*and* the Earth-based arguments are completely bogus".

    It doesn't have to. The phrase was my characterization of those
    arguments that they were completely bogus. That characterization was not
    intended as a quote from 3 year old posts. The characterization is
    correct. Both arguments *are* completely bogus. The message I referred
    to explained why the cosmic argument was incorrect. The fact that the
    earth-based argument was, too, incorrect was already settled, I presumed,
    because its refutation is so widespread, because it was previously
    pointed out to you on an at least one other occasion, and because you
    brought up the Ratzsch quote in the first place it seemed that you were
    conceding the earth-based argument but were standing behind the cosmic
    one.

    Regarding this invalidity of the earth-based argument and the invalidity
    of your previous claim that "an energy conversion mechanism" needs to be
    supplied for the growth of macroscopic order in an open subsystem I wish
    to point out that these things had cetainly already been previously
    pointed out to you before my post of 14 AUG 97. In a private reply I
    sent to you dated 20 AUG 96 17:42:51 -5:00 in response to comments you
    made to the reflector on the thread whose subject was "Re: TE is an
    oxymoron 1/2" I explained why both claims (need for "energy conversion
    mechanism", and earth-based 2nd law argument) are wrong. A copy of that
    message is given below (on the outside chance that someone on the list
    might be interested in the arguments). Even though I never intended that
    my characterizing phrase "completely bogus" has to explicitly appear in
    these old messages it is interesting anyway to note the concluding
    paragraph and the last sentence where I even happened to characterize the
    2nd law argument (earth-based) as "thoroughly bogus" back in 96 (before
    anyone started talking on the reflector about the Ratzsch quote about the
    cosmic argument which also has a 96 copyright).

    ====================insert old 11k message==========================
> [...]
    >the complicated atmospheric, oceanic, and deep mantle circulations seen in the
    >earth. For surface structures the disequilibrium is ultimately caused
    >because the surroundings of the earth are not at a constant temperature. The
    >temperature in space around the earth is at about 2.7 K in most directions,
    >but is at 5800 K in the direction towards the sun. This huge temperature
    >difference allows energy to enter the earth's upper layers (atmosphere,
    >oceans surface rock layers) and then be radiated back out to the cold of
    >outer space. The net energy flow is from hot (the sun) to cold (outer space)
    >(allowing heat engines to operate between these two heat reserviors). Also
    >complicated self-organizing dissipative structures (acting effectively like
    >a heat engine) may spontaneously form on the earth which then aid and speed up
    >the pumping of the energy through the system. In fact is this surface
    >disequilibrium which provides the habitat for living things which siphon off,
    >for their own use, some of the throughput of this energy flow and keep
    >themselves organized with it.
    >
    >What allows us to understand why the 2nd law is not violated is remembering
    >what entropy measures, and how that changes as a system interacts with it's
    >environment. The entropy of a system is: *the amount of information needed to
    >predict, with certainty, which exact microscopic state it is in given only the
    >macroscopic description of the system*. This concept effectively only
    >measures disorder at the microscopic level of the individual degrees of
    >freedom of the individual particles which make it up. This concept is
    >effectively irrelevant at the macroscopic level of systems and their parts
    >substantially larger than the individual constituent subatomic particles which
    >make up the system.
    >
    >A single zygote or an acorn does not have much of an apparatus (at the
    >macroscopic level) as an "energy conversion system" but such things
    >spontaneously turn into elephants and oak trees, each with their own
    >complexity. The complexity of the organism grows as the organism grows.
    >The elephant is much more complicated than the zygote from which it formed.
    >This does not violate the 2nd law and neither would the process of repeated
    >generations of living things gradually changing into other organisms
    >(i.e. evolution).
    >
    >It very well may be (as far as I'm concerned) that the special order seen in
    >the DNA of the genome of a complicated living being is more than can be
    >explained by the usual naturalistic Darwinian mechanisms. But this is a
    >DIFFERENT ISSUE and NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SECOND LAW.
    >
    >As far as I'm concerned the philosophical naturalists have by no means proved
    >their case that the most major macroevolutionary jumps can and do happen as
    >seen in the fossil record as well that original life arose spontaneously from
    >non-life. It's just that the 2nd law objection to it is thoroughly bogus.

    =====================end inserted old 11k message===================

    <snip a quote by SJ from my last post and a repitition of the charge that
    my post did not contain the phrase "completely bogus">

    SJ>Second, David still misses Ratzsch (and my) point. *No one*, not Henry
    >Morris, not me, not anyone, is claiming that "the SLOT...does... preclude
    >various *subsystems* of the universe from increasing in macroscopic
    >complexity and order *and* from even locally decreasing in thermodynamic
    >entropy itself."

    Yes, some do so claim. Many creationists (even you as seen above) have
    also claimed it was only possible by having some "energy conversion
    mechanism" in place. Such a mechanism has nothing to do with the second
    law. It's wrong anyway.

    If I missed your point you didn't make it. You keep hiding behind the
    Ratzsch quote. There is no reason to bring up the cosmic argument either
    because the result applies to it just as much as it applies to other
    smaller subsystems such as the Earth. In the case of the cosmic venue,
    the matter of the universe spontaneously organizes itself (with the help
    of gravitation) to form a whole hierachical array of complex macroscopic
    structures with their own complicated organized internal dynamics:
    planets, dwarfs, stars, black holes, quasars, galaxies, galactic
    clusters, superclusters, etc. This organization of the matter of the
    universe does *not* violate or go against the direction of the 2nd law.
    No pre-existing "energy conversion mechanism" is needed for this either,
    and even if it was, it would not be part of the 2nd law anyway. The
    spontaneous macroscopic organization of the matter of the universe is a
    consequence of the action of the 2nd law (among other things); it is not
    a process that opposes that law. The simple fact is that the matter of
    the universe is a small subsystem of the universe as a whole when it is
    quantified by its relevant measure, (i.e. the number of degrees of
    freedom pertaining to the matter). The number of degrees of freedom in
    the EM field (which is the venue of the highly equilibrated cosmic
    background radiation) completely swamps those of the matter. The EM
    field has no problem being an entropy sink for all the matter.

    If you think that there is some point of yours and/or Ratzsch's that I
    missed, would you please make that point clearly yourself. Please do not
    submit a barrage of quotes.

    <snip SJ quote from my message>

    SJ>See above. David needs to clear his mind of his preconceptions and look what
    >Ratzsch and I are *really* saying.

    If you think my mind is clouded by preconceptions, would you explain what
    you think you and Ratzsch are "*really* saying"? From my perspective, I
    think I know what Ratzsch has said in your oft-repeated quote. Maybe you
    interpret that quote and the situation differently. If so, please
    explain your take on the matter.

    >>SJ>2. I am unaware that anyone on this Reflector, including David, has ever
    >>>pointed out to me that "*both* the cosmic *and* the Earth-based
    >
    >DB>Apparently you forgot. BTW, why did you stipulate "anyone on this
    >>Reflector"? Has this been possibly pointed out to you in some other
    >>venue, too?
    >
    SJ>First, I did not forget. I am well aware that I have discussed the second law
    >before and that I have posted the Ratzsch quote before. What I was
    >referring to was the "completely bogus" part of David's claim.

    What I meant you "apparently forgot" was the fact that both arguments
    have been pointed out to you as invalid (i.e. completely bogus). I did
    not refer to you forgetting that you had repeated those arguments.

    SJ>Second, the "anyone on this Reflector" means just what it says: no one on
    >this Reflector, AFAIK, "has ever pointed out to me that `*both* the cosmic
    >*and* the Earth-based arguments are completely bogus".

    They have. You probably just forgot or didn't notice, and instead of
    simply acknowledging it, you try to justify yourself by arbitrarily
    requiring that an exact wording of a characterizing phrase appear in the
    messages that pointed this out.

    >Second, David has not even made a "refutation" of it. All David has done is
    >repeat what Ratzsch in his chapter "Creationist Theory: Popular
    >Evolutionist Misunderstandings" calls "Perhaps the most prevalent of the
    >misconstruals of creationism" (Ratzsch D.L., "The Battle of Beginnings,"
    >1996, p.91)

    Huh? I'm well aware (thanks to your repetitions) what the quote says.
    What other "misconstruals of creationism" do you think I have repeated?
    I don't think I have repeated any pertaining to the quote itself.

    My explanation *did* explain why the cosmic argument is wrong. Its wrong
    because the 2nd law doesn't forbid the cosmic macroscopic stucturing of
    the matter in the universe, as I illustrated with the example of the
    collapsing process that forms stars from clouds of gas and dust. (The
    errors of the earth-based arguments have been explained before, too.)

    To be continued on part 2

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu