Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 14:55:16 EST

    Me:

    > I am not asking for direct evidence as I do not expect such a
    > thing. Indirect evidence is just fine. What indirect evidence
    > indicates that a major evolutionary innovation was indeed the
    > product of RM&NS?

    Tedd:

    >How about evidence of gene duplication? Unless the process of
    >gene duplication can be shown to require intelligent help, I
    >think RM & NS wins again.

    Evidence of gene duplication is simply sequence similarity.
    How is this evidence against ID and for RM&NS? Where in
    ID is the requirement for the intelligent designer to employ
    nothing more than completely different sequences? Where is
    the evidence that those sequence similarities were indeed
    generated by random gene duplications?

    I don't approach this topic with such a bias that I would
    consider ID a good explanation only if *required*. After
    all, through some intelligently designed procedures, it would
    be easy to inject another copy of any gene into a mouse and
    thus provide it with a gene duplication. But such intelligent
    design would not be required to generate a duplicate of that
    gene; it could have happened without it.

    As I mentioned, this is an inquiry into history and attempts to
    impose and employ standards of "what is possible/impossible"
    are (IMO) seriously misguided. That type of inquiry belongs in
    philosophy and it is becoming increasingly clear to me that this debate,
    for most, is indeed all about philosophy and not history. Thus I
    fully understand why one's metaphysics or adherence to some
    game rule would demand that ID be *required.* But when one
    approaches the issue in a fair and open manner, willing to follow
    the evidence wherever it leads (even if it violates a game rule or
    someone's metaphysics), it clearly comes into focus that the belief
    that evolution was indeed driven by RM&NS is itself mostly driven
    by nothing more than game rules and metaphysics. And that's just a
    darn shame.

    I am becoming increasingly convinced that many darwinian
    academics are like the True Believers in a fundamentalist
    church. Both groups essentially move through and share
    with those who agree on their basic fundamentals and likewise
    insulate themselves from hard-nosed skeptics. Both share a
    rigid intolerance against anyone who would dare question
    the fundamentals of their faith (and both justify this by
    thinking the fundamentals of their faith are "true/fact").
    And finally, both are easily stumped by skeptics who don't
    begin with the same set of assumptions they work with.

    Thus when someone believes that RM&NS were indeed
    the mechanisms behind the major historical events of
    evolution, yet this belief is due to a type of faith, when
    asked for evidence, they have a very hard time processing
    this question. It's kind of like many religious fundamentalists,
    who are used to arguing with each other by using Bible verses
    only to find someone who questions the authority of those
    verses in the first place.

    So how can you tell if you are a darwinian fundamentalist?
    If you are unable to seriously consider the distinct possibility
    that I may have a real point here, chances are, you are
    a True Believer. Instead of embracing an opportunity to
    launch into some real free-thinking, you'll be looking
    for anyway to defend that which you hold dear. Look for
    the holes. Attack the messenger. Do anything but pause and
    consider I might be on to something.

    So I don't ask my question merely to score some debate point.
    I am not someone who insists that ID is true and only those
    who are mentally, psychologically, or intellectually defective
    can't see this (this line of wondrous thinking I won't steal from
    the ID critics). I am not a creationist or fundamentalist;
    I can very easily adopt the views of someone like Howard (or take
    them even further as I did in a reply to John). I am not the
    product of some church; I was milked on secularism through
    and through. I simply view an ambiguous and mysterious and
    fascinating world and am surrounded by many who think they
    have it all basically figured out. And in some ways, I guess I
    envy them.

    Mike