Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 19:46:20 EST

    Tedd Hadley asks:

     Bertvan@aol.com writes
    > in message <75.27fa5c5.260e383d@aol.com>:
    > <snip>
    > > The truth is one doesn't even have to be religious to consider
    > > "random mutation and natural selection" a silly explanation for
    > > macro evolution.
    >
    > Why is this a silly explanation?

    I have no idea why Bertvan considers it silly, but let me explain briefly
    why I do not.

    I am a "theological creationist." That is, I believe the universe has been
    given being by a Creator. I also believe that questions regarding the
    formational history of the universe are being investigated with both
    competence and integrity by the majority of professional scientists.

    What was given being by the Creator? _Everything_ that the universe _is_ and
    _is capable of doing_.

    Focusing on capabilities, I view every formational capability manifest by
    elementary particles, atoms, molecules, molecular aggregates, cells,
    organisms, etc., as a 'gift of being' given to the universe by its Creator.

    Another 'gift of being' is the universe's "potentiality space" of viable
    life forms--a "space" in which similar life forms would be located close to
    one another. (If you like, you could imagine clusters of points defining a
    species, then clusters of clusters defining a genus, etc.)

    Because I see the universe as a creation, I hold to the expectation that the
    universe's potentiality space is vast and rich with potential life forms and
    that the universe is also gifted with a robust set of formational
    capabilities that function as connective pathways through that potentiality
    space, thereby making evolutionary change possible. From a theological
    creationist point of view, these qualities are seen as manifestations of the
    Creator's creativity (in conceptualizing this universe's rich and robust
    being) and the Creator's generosity (in giving such fullness of being to the
    creation).

    In this context, what are commonly called a 'random mutations' function as a
    creator-provided means of exploring new regions of potentiality space, and
    'natural selection' functions as a test of viability within the extant
    ecosystem and physical environment.

    So, to put this in the style of Genesis 1, the history of biotic evolution
    (to which random mutation and natural selection contribute) would be
    interpreted as the creation's response to the Creator's intention expressed
    in words like, "Let there be an ongoing exploration of the creation's
    potentiality space and let those creatures suited to their biotic and
    physical environments be fruitful and multiply."

    In conclusion, then, I see nothing silly in considering the possibility
    that, _given a creation gifted from the outset with both a rich potentiality
    space and a robust set of formational capabilities_, the remarkable
    phenomenon of macro-evolution by means of random mutation and natural
    selection might actually work.

    Howard Van Till