Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 23:02:25 EST

    Hi Rich,

    You wrote:

    >If your point is that maybe Dennet really does hold the beliefs Dembski says
    >he does, it's still irrelevant. Dembski doesn't say "I suspect that Dennett
    >recommends..." or "I know from some other source that Dennett recommends..."
    >Dembski makes a specific claim about what [Dennett] recommends in a
    particular
    >book. And that claim is untrue.

    Is it? I have not seen a demonstration that this claim is untrue. All you
    have
    shown is that Dembski did not literally quote Dennett, yet Dembski never
    pretends to be quoting from Dennett. For example, Dembski did not write:
    Dennett "recommends quarantining parents who teach their children to doubt
    Darwinism."

    Keep in mind that we really don't seem to know what Dennett
    is saying. We know he employs the common "us vs. them" thinking to
    propose that "them" be quarantined, but we don't have a good handle on who
    "them" are, we don't know what he means by "quarantine," and we don't
    know what he means by "peacefully coexist." We do know that his blind
    faith in his own metaphysics and memes have him believing that natural
    selection evolved human beings and we do know he strongly desires to
    re-educate the children of those who doubt his faith "as soon as possible."

    Well, let's look at this re-education plan. But before doing so, let's
    consider an excerpt from Ron Numbers's _Darwinism Comes to
    America_ (Harvard University Press, 1998, p. 13):

    "If Dawkins played the role of point man for late-twentieth-
       century naturalistic evolutionists, Daniel C. Dennett gladly
       served as their hatchet man. In a book called _Darwin's
       Dangerous Idea_ (1995), which Dawkins warmly endorsed,
       Dennett portrayed Darwinism as "a universal solvent,
       capable of cutting right to the heart of everything in
       sight" -- and particularly effective in dissolving religious
       beliefs. The most ardent creationist could not have said
       it with more conviction, but Dennett's agreement with them
       ended there. He despised creationists, arguing that "there
       are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than
       the fanaticisms of fundamentalism." Displaying a degree
       of intolerance more characteristic of a fanatic Fundamentalist
       than an academic philosopher, he called for "caging" those
       who would deliberately misinform children about the natural
       world, just as one would cage a threatening wild animal.
       "The message is clear," he wrote: "those who will not accomodate,
       who will not temper, who insist on keeping only the purest
       and wildest strain of their heritage alive, we will be obliged,
       reluctantly, to cage or disarm, and we will do our best to
       disable the memes [traditions] they fight for." With the
       bravado of a man unmindful that only 11 percent of the
       public shared his enthusiasm for naturalistic evolution, he
       warned parents that if they insisted on teaching their
       children "falsehoods -- that the Earth is flat, that 'Man' is
       not a product of evolution by natural selection -- then
       you must expect, at the very least, that those of us who
       have freedom of speech will feel free to describe your
       teachings as the spreading of falsehoods, and will attempt
       to demonstrate this to your children at our earliest
       opportunity." Those who resisted conversion to
       Dennett's scientific fundamentalism would be subject
       to "quarantine."

    Okay, so I use Websters to look up the word "quarantine."
    One definition is as follows: "to isolate from normal relations
    or communication." Hmmm. Normal relations and
    communication among parents and children are to propagate
    those memes [traditions]. That's an intimate part of the parent-
    child relationship. And Dennett's plans of re-education
    are indeed ways to isolate the parents and their memes from
    their children. Thus, it is indeed quarantine Dennett is talking
    about when advocates re-education "as early as possible." A way
    cage a religion, a way to quarantine a religion, is to ban it to
    the realm of the purely private and intervene on a parent's
    education of their children.

    Now, what's worse? That, in your mind, Dembski has misrepresented
    Dennett or that Dennett advocates a form of intolerant
    proselytism that would include indoctrinating children with
    his personal brand of faith against the will of the child's parents?
    Since the stench of Dennett's fundamentalism is so strong, it is
    really hard for me to perceive this truly terrible sin of Bill
    Dembski. What I see instead are folks trying to distract attention
    away from the dangerous closed-minded intolerance of someone
    like a Dennett.

    But here's the fun part. Let's say Dennett has been misrepresented
    by Dembski. That would not be significant if Dennett's overall
    views are correct. In this case, Dembski's take on Dennett's writings
    can be viewed as a meme generated by mutation. It wouldn't matter
    if the meme was a mutant version of the original. All that matters is
    if it propagates itself and out competes the original. If Demsbki's meme
    propagates and entrenches itself such that Dennett's reputation is damaged,
    then he would simply be a victim of his own universal acid. What's he
    goin' do? Shake his fist at natural selection? At the act of mutation?
    Oh, the sinister irony of it all! ;)

    Mike