What does "gradualism" mean to a punctuationist?

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:28:22 EST

    Richard Wein wrote:

    RW>There does however seem to be some confusion caused by Gould
    RW>and Eldredge's use of the word "gradualist", another word
    RW>they use to characterize those who do not share their
    RW>views. But what do they actually mean by this word?

    [...]

    I have found that whenever one finds an unadorned "gradualis*"
    term in the works of punctuationists, it only very rarely
    means anything except "phyletic gradualis*". The essential
    criteria of phyletic gradualism are given in the 1972 paper
    on PE and quoted in my FAQ on PE:

    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/pe103.html>

    They attribute the concept of phyletic gradualism to Darwin,
    but an examination of Darwin's writings reveals this to be
    untrue.

    Wesley