Re: Marxism and Darwinism

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:01:30 EST

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <7c.2b77fc3.25fbcbd5@aol.com>:

     <snip to the crux:>

    > Science deals in definitions; non materialism includes the
    > undefinable. (such as free will, creativity or an undefinable
    > "God") Non materialists regard the non definable as part of
    > reality, and capable of influencing reality.

       What do you mean by non-definable? I know many people
       who argue that "free will", "creativity" and "God"
       can be well-defined.

    > Non materialists are skeptical of materialistic confidence that
    > all of nature will eventually be explained by science.

       If they have a reason for this skepticism, that reason can be
       examined with the tools of science. In principle, I can think
       of no way to know anything with confidence without being able
       to verify it in ways approaching the scientific method.

    > Apparently, most materialists believe the universe is the result
    > of accidental, impersonal processes, without plan, purpose,
    > meaning or design. Non materialists entertain the possibility
    > of design and teleology.

       Maybe, maybe not, depending on what you mean by design.
       Did Thor create the Earth? Not likely.

    > Materialism assumes the "laws of nature" are absolute. Non
    > materialism is comfortable with the probabilistic nature of
    > quantum physics.

       Materialists are perfectly comfortable with quantum physics.
       I don't know what you mean, here.

    > Non materialists might regard mathematical formulas as crude
    > way to describe reality, while a materialist would consider them
    > precise.

       Depends on what you mean by "describing reality". I know of no
       single mathematical formula that describes reality.