Marxism and Darwinism

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 11:56:43 EST

    Brian:
    >In my experience, this impression is promoted by two extreme groups. One is a
    >very narrow set of neo-Darwinists that are sometimes referred to as
    >ultra-Darwinians
    >(Eldredge) and Darwinian Fundamentalists (Gould). This group is not
    >representative
    >of either evolutionists in general or even of neo-Darwinians. Trying to
    >promote them
    >as such is equivalent to those evolutionists who try to paint all opponents
    of
    >neo-Darwinism as YEC's.

    >The second group that promotes the impression you mention above are
    extremists
    >on the other side of the fence. Certain creationists who try to convince
    >the general public
    >that the "orthodox" scientific view is that of the ultra-Darwinians. It is
    >very convenient for them
    >if the public views them as somehow oppressed by "the elite", the high
    >priests of
    >science.

    Hi Brian,

    I suspect - hope - you are right. However the ultra Darwinists have
    succeeded in convincing the public their interpretation of evolution is "the
    orthodox view". I can understand why scientists wouldn't want to waste their
    time arguing on these discussion boards. But why didn't some "reasonable"
    biologists speak up in support of the Kansas school board, which did nothing
    more than suggest that "random mutation and natural selection" not be taught
    as the known mechanism behind macro evolution? You once said that
    materialism is dead. Who are the biologists informing the public that
    materialism is not an essential part of biology? The only ones I've heard
    are those active in the ID movement. Is the ID movement accepted as a
    legitimate by most biologists? I believe academic freedom is pretty healthy
    at the moment. I wish a few biologists would try to convince me that is also
    true in biology.

    Bertvan