Parrot cummunication

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:01:16 EST

    Stephen Jones wrote:

    SEJ>[...] Alex, an African gray parrot, is unlike any other
    SEJ>animal: he can talk. When he says, "come here!" he really
    SEJ>wants his owner to come here. That is remarkable to the
    SEJ>scientist studying him, Irene Pepperberg of the University
    SEJ>of Arizona. She says Alex understands that words have
    SEJ>meaning and he does not just mimic random sounds he has
    SEJ>been taught. "These birds have the emotional and social
    SEJ>skills of about a 2-and-a-half year-old, 3- year-old
    SEJ>child, says Pepperberg. "Their intellectual skills are
    SEJ>more like a 5 or 6 year old in some cases."
    SEJ>Differentiating Objects' Characteristics Alex can identify
    SEJ>about 50 different objects, can name seven colors, and
    SEJ>knows numbers up to six. "You can ask him what color, what
    SEJ>shape, what material," says Pepperberg, "and he knows what
    SEJ>set of answers belong in those categories."... Once again,
    SEJ>the line blurs between humans and animals. The one
    SEJ>remaining distinction, in the end, may be that humans are
    SEJ>better at things, but it is still surprising what a bird
    SEJ>with a walnut-sized brain can learn. ... [This is a big
    SEJ>problem for those who claim that chimps and gorillas can
    SEJ>talk. If the claim is that chimps can really use sign
    SEJ>language because they are closest to humans, then what is
    SEJ>the explanation for a *parrot* who talk as well, if not
    SEJ>better? I saw a parrot sing "Happy Birthday" in an
    SEJ>opera-singer voice at the Singapore bird park but I no one
    SEJ>claimed that it knew what it was singing. Parrots are just
    SEJ>very clever mimics and human beings are very good at
    SEJ>training them and reading into their pets' behaviour their
    SEJ>own human feelings. Maybe this exposes as an
    SEJ>anthropomorphic delusion the whole field of talking apes?]

    Stephen says that a parrot that can communicate is a problem
    for ape communication studies. His conclusion does not follow
    from his premises, but this is not unusual in these little
    bits of commentary. It is obvious that other support than
    close phylogenetic ties have to be made for the reasons that a
    parrot can handle interspecies communication showing concept
    understanding. Why this might impact ape communication
    studies is something Stephen does not explicate.

    Why should a parrot be able to handle concept understanding
    and interspecies communication? The interspecies
    communication part is made possible via mimicry, but mimicry
    alone does not explain the whole set of phenomena. For
    explaining that, more needs to be known about African grey
    parrot ecology and social interactions. One of Pepperberg's
    graduate students, Spencer Lynn, was recently in the field in
    Africa with a research team looking into the ecology and
    behavior of African grey parrots in the wild.

    I've met Pepperberg and Alex, and spent some time at the lab
    in Tucson watching the research going on. Irene Pepperberg is
    a careful researcher whose methods include extensive
    documentation and analysis of all interactions when Alex is at
    his "work" station (the back of a lab chair). Alex scores
    about 80% correct on various types of questions put to him.
    This level of performance is far above chance. I knew Spencer
    Lynn from his time at Texas A&M University at Galveston, where
    he took part in the large-scale assessment of sperm whale
    abundance and distribution in the northwestern region of the
    Gulf of Mexico (the GulfCet project, funded through Minerals
    Management Service). These people are very capable
    researchers, and I find Stephen's flippant assessment of their
    activities to be close to libelous.

    If Stephen thinks that he can form a novel cogent and valid
    critique of Pepperberg's work, I encourage him to pick up some
    of her publications and try it out. Otherwise, Stephen is
    (as usual) blowing smoke.

    Wesley