Re: Some Parrots Have Ability to Talk With Humans, etc

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 17:58:55 EST

    Reflectorites

    Below are web article links, headlines and paragraphs for the period 25
    February - 3 March, with my comments in square brackets.

    http://abcnews.go.com/onair/CloserLook/wnt_000303_CL_parrot_feature.html
    ABCNEWS ... Conversing With Parrots Some Parrots Have Ability to
    Talk With Humans And now we move a step further. Alex, an African gray
    parrot is unlike any other animal: he can talk. When he says, "come here!"
    he really wants his owner to come here. (ABCNEWS.com) By Ned Potter
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass., March 3 - What is it that elevates human beings
    above the rest of the animal kingdom? It's getting complicated.
    Researchers once thought it was our ability to use tools, but, no, it turned
    out chimps use twigs or leaves as crude tools. Then the researchers
    seized on our ability to use language, but it has turned out that dolphins
    make certain sounds for certain things and gorillas can learn sign
    language. ... And now we move a step further. Alex, an African gray
    parrot, is unlike any other animal: he can talk. When he says, "come
    here!" he really wants his owner to come here. That is remarkable to the
    scientist studying him, Irene Pepperberg of the University of Arizona. She
    says Alex understands that words have meaning and he does not just
    mimic random sounds he has been taught. "These birds have the
    emotional and social skills of about a 2-and-a-half year-old, 3- year-old
    child, says Pepperberg. "Their intellectual skills are more like a 5 or 6 year
    old in some cases." Differentiating Objects' Characteristics Alex can
    identify about 50 different objects, can name seven colors, and knows
    numbers up to six. "You can ask him what color, what shape, what
    material," says Pepperberg, "and he knows what set of answers belong in
    those categories."... Once again, the line blurs between humans and
    animals. The one remaining distinction, in the end, may be that humans
    are better at things, but it is still surprising what a bird with a walnut-sized
    brain can learn. ... [This is a big problem for those who claim that chimps
    and gorillas can talk. If the claim is that chimps can really use sign
    language because they are closest to humans, then what is the
    explanation for a *parrot* who talk as well, if not better? I saw a parrot sing
    "Happy Birthday" in an opera-singer voice at the Singapore bird park but I
    no one claimed that it knew what it was singing. Parrots are just very
    clever mimics and human beings are very good at training them and
    reading into their pets' behaviour their own human feelings. Maybe this
    exposes as an anthropomorphic delusion the whole field of talking apes?]

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000302/sc/axes_1.html Yahoo! ...
    March 2 ... Oldest Stone Axes in China Found By Maggie Fox, Health and
    Science Correspondent WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Eight hundred
    thousand years ago, a meteorite blasted into what is now Vietnam,
    burning forests, killing off wildlife and probably badly frightening the pre-
    humans who lived there. But eventually, the hominids came back...They
    found a freshly exposed outcropping of rock, perfect for making stone
    tools. Archeologists ... found those tools -- the oldest stone axes ever
    found in China. They date to 803,000 years ago. They say the tools show
    that the Asian Homo erectus was every bit as advanced as his African
    cousins and suggest this species of early humans shared a global
    culture....What has been found is a rich collection of stone tools. Potts and
    colleagues report in the journal Science that they have dated the tools and
    the tektites to 803,000 years ago. ... It is known that Homo erectus lived in
    the area at the time...It's a darn shame we don't have fossil bones from
    this area." ... "There has been this long, over 50 years, viewpoint that
    because we don't find stone tools in eastern Asia like what we find in
    Africa, that there must have been great deep cultural isolation and
    behavioral differences," Potts said. "This suggests that this is not the
    case." ... Also at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/03/06/fancystones.ap/index.html CNN
    ... Refined stone tools show skill of ancient East Asians The Asian tools
    are about 800,000 years old March 6, 2000 ......Such advanced tools
    have long been missing from the human geological record in East Asia,
    leading some anthropologists to speculate that early humans in Asia were
    less sophisticated and inventive than those elsewhere. Fifty years ago, a
    Harvard University anthropologist, Hallam Movius, even divided the
    ancient world into halves based on stone age tool-making skill. What
    became known as the Movius line divided Africa, the Middle East and
    Europe from the presumed backwaters of India, China and Southeast
    Asia. ... [This does not really settle the "Movius line" question. If Asian
    Homo erectus could make stone tools in one area why didn't he make
    them elsewhere? Since African Homo erectus definitely did make stone
    tools, a possible answer is that these stone tools were made by African
    Homo erectus.]

    http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/02/28/dark.matter.ap/index.html ... CNN
    .. Stanford experiment contradicts 'dark matter' findings February 28, 2000 ...
    STANFORD, California (AP) -- A group of physicists says their Stanford
    University experiment to detect so-called "dark matter" particles that hold the
    universe together could contradict earlier findings by an Italian team. Physicists
    have long theorized that "dark matter" particles could account for much of the
    universe's mass. But new research presented Friday by University of California-
    Berkeley physicist Richard Gaitskell suggests that it is unlikely that a Stanford
    University detector had found as many of the elusive particles as an Italian
    experiment recorded, The New York Times reported Saturday. The Stanford
    experiment recorded 13 particle detections, about the same number as expected by
    the Italian group. But the detection of weakly interacting massive particles -dubbed
    WIMPS -- was likely caused by ordinary atomic particles called neutrons. ... It is
    not yet known if WIMPs -- part of the "dark matter" that keeps galaxies from
    breaking apart -- exist. .... Also at:
    http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/022600sci-dark-matter.html &
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20000226_1955.html ... [So WIMPs may not
    exist after all? According to the previous article I posted, WIMPs are important to
    the theory of supersymmetry, which itself is important to a Theory of Everything.]

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000228/sc/science_meteorite_1.html ...
    Museum Sues Indians Over Meteorite Ownership By Gail Appleson, Law
    Correspondent NEW YORK (Reuters) - The American Museum of Natural
    History sued an American Indian group Monday to block its claim to the 15.5-ton
    Willamette Meteorite, one of the museum's oldest treasures and a centerpiece of its
    newly opened planetarium. The suit seeks a court ruling that the museum is the
    rightful owner of the largest meteorite ever found in the United States. It also
    seeks a ruling that it does not have to repatriate the extraterrestrial object to an
    Oregon Indian group that alleges that the gigantic meteorite is a holy tribal object
    that brought messages from the spirit world long before the arrival of white men.
    ... The lawsuit alleged that the meteorite's ownership history dates back to at least
    1855 when various Indian tribes voluntarily ceded the meteorite, which was once
    located in the upper Willamette Valley in Oregon, to the United States in exchange
    for reservation land and other considerations. ... To obtain repatriation of a sacred
    object, a tribe must show that it is a sacred object, that the tribe owned or
    controlled it and that the museum does not have a right of possession, the suit said.
    The museum alleged that the Oregon Indian group did not meet these
    requirements. ... Also at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/02/29/museum.meteorite.ap/index.html &
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/meteorite000228.html [This is
    shaping up to be an fascinating test between a prior indigenous religious claim and
    a member of the dominant scientific culture's legal claim. This could eventually
    have big ramifications elsewhere.]

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000228/sc/diabetes_stemcells_2.html ...
    Yahoo! ... February 28 ... Scientists Reverse Mouse Diabetes With Stem Cells By
    Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
    Scientists said on Monday they had used stem cells -- "master cells" that are the
    source of new cells in the body -- to reverse diabetes in mice. They said their
    experiment is a first demonstration that the cells are as valuable as people had said
    they would be in treating disease. The team ... has already started testing human
    cells in the laboratory and think they will work, too. Stem cells have been in the
    headlines since their real potential was discovered just over a year ago.
    Researchers said they could be used as tissue transplants, or even as a source to
    grow whole new organs. ... they said they isolated stem cells from the pancreases
    of mice, got them to grow, transplanted them into diabetic mice and showed they
    worked to produce insulin. ... No one really knows what a stem cell looks like.
    Scientists only know of their existence because of their final product -- more cells.
    So Schatz's team just hoped they would get stem cells, and they did. ... "The next
    step is take this into humans," Schatz said. "In preliminary experiments it appears
    that we can take human pancreatic duct cells and show that they can differentiate
    into islet cells as well." Schatz said the source of the stem cells was organ donors -
    - people who have died of various causes and donated their organs. ... One of the
    controversial sources of stem cells is early embryos -- usually left over from
    attempts to make test-tube babies. Schatz said if organ donors can be used as a
    source, "you could potentially bypass (the need for) embryonic cells." .... In a
    second study ... said they had found a place in the adult brain that might serve as a
    source of neural stem cells. They described a method to identify and isolate cells
    from the adult human dentate gyrus section of the hippocampus and said these
    might be used for brain cell transplants, perhaps to treat patients with Parkinson's
    or other diseases caused by brain degeneration. ... Also at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_660000/660947.stm [I didn't realise
    that no one knows what a stem cell looks like. I personally can see nothing wrong
    with obtaining stem cells from deceased or even live consenting donors.]

    http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/022600sci-geog-viking.html
    The New York Times February 26, 2000 Study Casts Disputed Map as
    False Link to Vikings ... By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD A study conducted in
    preparation for an exhibition on the Vikings at the Smithsonian Institution
    in Washington in April has concluded that the Vinland Map, which purports
    to show that Norse explorers charted North America long before the
    voyages of Columbus, is almost certainly a fake. ... In an analysis of
    chemical tests of the map's ink and comparisons with authenticated maps
    of the 15th and 16th centuries, Dr. Douglas McNaughton, a physicist and
    independent scholar of early maps, found what he said was persuasive
    evidence that the map, whose value has been assessed at $25 million,
    appeared to have been contrived in the early 20th century and modeled
    after 16th century Portuguese maps of the North Atlantic. ... "It has been
    called a fake since it was first seen by cartographic historians," ... One of
    the most telling clues calling the map's authenticity into question, Dr.
    McNaughton said, was that outlines of coasts and islands in the North
    Atlantic seemed to be based in large part on a 1503-5 chart by Nicolo
    Caneiro, a Genovese cartographer who worked with secret map material
    of the Portuguese. ...But some defenders of the map's medieval origins
    have taken sharp issue with the new interpretations. ... Dr. Babcock said
    that he and others at Yale remained open-minded in the debate over
    whether the map is genuine. ... [I have no stake in whether this is a fake,
    but I would have thought that the any similarity between the Vinland Map
    and medieval Portuguese maps could be explained by the latter having
    been based on earlier Norse maps.]

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000225/sc/science_chip_1.html ... Yahoo! ...
    February 25 ... Scientists Create Half-Human, Half-Silicon Chip WASHINGTON
    (Reuters) - Scientists said on Friday they have created a bionic chip that mixes
    human cells with layers of silicon, a device they hope to use in research and to
    treat disease. The chip is a sandwich that traps a cell within three layers of silicon.
    The cell acts to complete an electrical circuit, and can be altered -- perhaps to add
    a new gene -- as part of the process. ... their invention ... is used for a process
    called electroporation. "We have developed a micro-electroporation chip that
    incorporates a live biological cell in the electrical circuit," ... Electroporation is
    used extensively in genetic engineering and other forms of research on cells. It uses
    an electrical current to open pores in the membranes that surround cells, allowing
    scientists to put in new genes or other compounds. The chip integrates the cell,
    using it to complete the needed electrical circuit and trapping it in place so the new
    genes or compounds can be inserted. ... "Because of the low cost of the chip and
    the possibility to completely automate the process, it is conceivable that in
    industrial operation there could be hundreds of chips operating under computer
    control," they wrote. ... They think the process could eventually be used to treat
    diseased cells and then replace them in the body. One of the weaknesses of gene
    therapy -- which attempts to use new genes to treat disease -- is that is hard to
    make sure cells actually absorb the new genes. The new process might make it
    easier to ensure that genes get into cells. ... Also at:
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20000226_1955.html [This sounds like a way
    to mass-produce gene therapy!]

    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/exped_seti000225_part2.html
    ABCNEWS ... Finding the Signal ... By Seth Shostak Special to
    ABCNEWS.com Feb. 25 - "So where do you analyze the data for
    signals?" I've heard this question a thousand times ... many are surprised
    by the absence of a supercomputer, humming away as it plows through
    gobs of data in pursuit of ET's call. So I explain it once more to the
    visitors: our search is conducted entirely at a telescope. Sure, we have a
    supercomputer, a custom-built hunk of hardware that packs a multi-
    teraflop punch. But there's a good reason for doing all the data processing
    at the `scope. Interstellar signals, if they come from far away (more than a
    thousand light-years), are subject to fading. In the course of a few hours,
    their strength will rise and fall sometimes by as much as a factor of ten.
    This is an unavoidable fate for radio waves that pass through the clouds of
    hot, thin gas that float between the stars. Clearly, if we wait a few hours to
    check out a signal, it might fade into temporary oblivion. In the worst case,
    we could miss the evidence of a hailing alien. So we don't wait. We check
    out all signals right at the telescope within 20 minutes, a job that is tougher
    than a two-dollar steak. The Project Phoenix system monitors 28 million
    channels simultaneously, and is hooked up to an antenna that's the
    equivalent of ten thousand large, backyard satellite dishes. Signals pour in
    at the rate of several a minute. So how does our hapless telescope
    hardware keep up? ... It does so by using pipeline processing. This
    sounds like something that would interest an oil company, but pipeline
    processing is just a computer term. It refers to handling the signals in a
    sequence of steps, with a different system at each stage. If the signal
    makes it through stage two, a second telescope, the 250-foot metal
    monster at Jodrell Bank, England, is called into play. It checks to see if it
    can find the candidate. In addition, it reckons with the fact that a true
    extraterrestrial broadcast should be at a slightly different spot on the dial in
    England than in Puerto Rico. This is because of frequency shifts
    introduced by Earth's rotation. About once an hour, a signal will make it
    through stage three and a few additional, automatic tests thrown at it by a
    piece of software dubbed the Kitchen Sink Module. If a candidate
    broadcast has leapt all these hurdles, then life at the telescope gets
    interesting. ... The Arecibo `scope swings away from the star system under
    scrutiny, and tries again to dig up the signal. If it can, then we know that
    we're just looking at interference. Signals that can be found no matter
    where you point the antenna are merely the bright glow from a nearby
    radar station or an overhead satellite, leaking into our system. If the signal
    doesn't show, then the telescope swings back to the star and looks again.
    In some cases, the signal reappears, as it should if it's coming from deep
    space. The antenna begins to nod back and forth between star and blank
    sky, checking whether the signal comes and goes appropriately. The
    telescope may be nodding, but you can bet that the astronomer on duty is
    paying close attention. Few signals have made it as far through the
    pipeline as I've described here. But some have. Were they possibly alien
    broadcasts? Our first sign of extraterrestrial intelligence? ... [Interesting
    need for speed. Also the use for a type of `explanatory filter' to eliminate
    law and chance so that what's left is possibly design.]

    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DyeHard/dyehard.html
    ABCNEWS ... [undated - downloaded 29 February 2000] A Forest From
    the Past Ice Age Trees Record the Toll of the Last Time the World
    Warmed ... By Lee Dye Special to ABCNEWS.com About 10,000 years
    ago, as Ice Age glaciers thawed in what is now Michigan, a forest of
    spruce trees sprouted and flourished. Then, quickly, the forest died.
    Preserved in rising water and sand, the ancient trees are giving scientists
    a remarkable look at the last time the world's climate warmed rapidly and
    may offer compelling lessons for the present, when most experts believe
    the Earth is warming again. ... Earthen dikes were built to keep water from
    flooding the excavation as researchers carefully removed the sand. What
    they found was astonishing: five acres of ancient forest, still standing and
    nearly perfectly preserved, down to the moss on the limbs of the trees...."It
    had to have been a very rapid but gentle burial," Bornhorst says, because
    even tiny "limblets" of new growth survived the process. ... It seems
    reasonable that such a dramatic change in climate would be reflected in
    the annual growth rings of the trees in the doomed forest, but that is not
    the case. "If you look at the tree rings you can look at the microclimate
    (which determines growth) in this area right before it warmed up," ... "One
    of the really fascinating things is we don't see any indicators that the
    climate was going to warm up. ... The trees in the ancient forest, he
    suggests, should have sensed that it was getting warmer and that should
    have been reflected in their rate of growth. But apparently they didn't.
    Now, all these years later, those ancient trees seem to be raising the
    same question today that they did 10,000 years ago: Does anybody really
    know what's going on? ... [This could be interesting to Flood geologists. A
    whole forest buried rapidly but gently only 10,000 years ago and no
    evidence in the trees themselves for the alternative, global warming and
    glacier melting!]

    HIV/AIDS:

    http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/aids/stories/economic.impact/ CNN
    ... AIDS leaves Africa's economic future in doubt The worst of the AIDS
    epidemic may be yet to come, say U.N. economists ... AIDS now kills
    around 2 million people a year in sub-Saharan Africa By Peter Wehrwein
    As the HIV epidemic deepens in Africa, it is leaving an economically
    devastated continent in its wake. More than one-quarter of working-age
    adults are infected with HIV in some communities in sub-Saharan Africa, a
    statistic that brings profound economic repercussions for families and
    communities. Families that must care for a member who is ill with AIDS
    often deplete monetary resources that would otherwise be used to cover
    necessities and to invest in children's futures. And when AIDS claims the
    lives of people in their most productive years, grieving orphans and elderly
    must contend with the sudden loss of financial support, communities must
    bear the burden of caring for those left behind, and countries must draw
    on a diminishing pool of trained and talented workers. Anita Alban, an
    economist for the United Nations Joint Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS),
    cites a study of urbanites in Cote d'Ivoire that showed families with a
    member sick from AIDS cut spending on their children's education in half
    and reduced food consumption by about 40 percent as they struggled to
    cover health expenditures that soared to four times their usual level. ...
    One of the paradoxes of the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa is that for
    most of this decade it has not made a dent on standard macroeconomic
    yardsticks such as gross domestic product (GDP), a measure of the total
    value of goods and services produced by an economy over a period of
    time. ... Besides, says Daniel Tarantola, a senior policy adviser to World
    Health Organization Director-General Gro Harlem Brundtland, the scope
    of the epidemic is now so large now that numbers are no longer necessary
    to make the argument for the epidemic's economic consequences. ...
    Because it is difficult to measure the macroeconomic impact of an
    epidemic directly, economists have generally depended on economic
    models, which are built on a set of assumptions. Naturally, different
    assumptions yield different numbers. ... [Another strange AIDS story. It is
    supposed to be having a devastating economic impact but in fact "it has
    not made a dent on standard macroeconomic yardsticks such as gross
    domestic product (GDP)." So "numbers are no longer necessary to make
    the argument for the epidemic's economic consequences"!]

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)