Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 01:19:17 EST

    Me:

    >Who among you would want to be a clone? Who among you would
    >want to grow up as a clone?

    > I think none. However, you can't speak for another person.

    On the contrary, if none of us would want to be a clone, there is darn
    good reason for thinking a clone would not want to be a clone. Unless we
    can get consent to be a clone, we should not make a clone. And since
    we cannot get such consent, we ought not make a clone.

    >I have read
    >(somewhere) that this human cloning thing has two main pushes. 1. from
    >people who have lost children, especially infants or small children. It's a
    >way to have that exact child back from the grave. 2. from people who need
    >organs. if you could clone just a *heart* or a *liver* ONLY(!) from your
    >own cells it would be most useful.

    Both arguments are weak ,selfish, and cruel (even ghastly). If these are the
    rationales for making clones, then the future is quite dark. We like to talk
    about preserving the environment, but I'm losing a desire to preserve the
    environment for the type of being humans will become. In fact, these
    arguments
    for cloning are the very type of short-sighted arguments used to justify
    trashing
    the environments - they appeal to immediate gratifications and have no concern
    for the long term effects of the abuses on what it means to be human.

    I once read/heard someone make an excellent point. Many materialists
    think of humanity's future in Star Trek ways. Noble humanity, with its sense
    of meaning and ethics intact, explores the galaxy, making peaceful contacts
    and
    alliances. But maybe humanity's future is not as the Federation, but instead
    as the Borg. An amoral, machine-like hive that cares mostly about absorbing
    and implementing new technology and changing itself to spread its existence
    across the galaxy. This promised cloning experience suggests we are clearly
    on the Borg track.

    >As for cloning a whole person, I agree, it's dicy ethically and in a world
    >with 6 billion people, who needs it?

    Alas, we agree on something!

    Mike