Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 09:39:42 EST

    Thanks to Tedd for providing an abstract.

    The study that Tedd cites indicates that when college students in
    an undergraduate sex education course were given a unit on
    homosexuality that involves role playing and debunking myths,
    those students who scored higher than the median on a homophobia
    questionnaire scored significantly lower after the course.

    But what exactly does such a study mean? Might it not simply
    mean that students have the ability to learn to put down what they
    are taught as the "right answers" on a test form? Isn't this a rather
    crude way of measuring homophobia?

    More importantly, however, is that such a study is simply too weak
    to support any general claim about education eliminating homophobia.
    It was apparently about one class in one school. It can't be said
    to be representative of all college students, let alone, all people.
    And where are the follow-ups? Do these scores still remain low
    after 6 months? 2 years? 10 years? It looks to me like the
    peer-review process at the J. Homosexuality is quite relaxed
    and uncritical.

    But let's get down to something more interesting. The study
    mentions only a 'significant' drop in the homophobic scores.
    This is not the same as eliminating homophobia. I doubt
    that you can put all homophobics in the same category just
    as you can't put all homosexuals in the same category.
    Among homosexuals, there are those who have a very
    strong sexual orientation for the same sex, there are those
    who have had children in marriages with women,
    and then there are the bisexuals who can go either way.
    Thus, the inherent sexual urges differ in intensity such that
    homosexuals are a heterogenous group. The same may hold
    true for homophobics. At one extreme, we may find people
    who so dislike homosexuality that they are motivated towards
    physical violence. At the other end of the spectrum are those
    who simply dislike homosexuality, but have no problem tolerating
    it. Speaking about all homophobics as if they would do
    violence against a homosexual is like speaking about all
    homosexuals as if they have hundreds of sexual partners.

    Now, until we being to explore homophobia without the
    filters of preconceived political agendas, we have no way
    of knowing if such education would be universally effective.
    It may be effective against the least dangerous of homophobics
    and have no effect on the hard-core homophobics. My feeling
    is that education would be effective only to a certain extent
    (as is the case with all education and human behavior).

    Let's bring this all back to the topic of this board. You mentioned
    I was engaged in parody, and bascically, you are right. But it's not
    pure parody. A Darwinian explanation for homophobia makes
    about as much sense as any other Darwinian explanation for human
    behavior. In fact, homophobia seems to make more sense in light
    of natural selection than homosexuality. Now that some darwinists
    have broken through to explore the biological basis for rape,
    perhaps soon homophobia will be explored. Then, maybe that
    education will have to include some science and teach young
    boys that many of them were born to be homophobes. But the
    notion that education is going to erase millions of years
    of programming by natural selection is stretching it. Or, on the
    other hand, it assumes there is something quite special about
    the human mind.

    Mike