Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 17:52:42 EST

    >Susan writes:
    >
    >>I agree. This, of course, is an excellent illustration of the fact that
    >>people don't choose their sexual orientation. You are born one way and you
    >>are stuck with it! Religious moralizing only causes psychological damage.
    >>Suicide rates among homosexual teens is much higher than among "normal"
    >>adolescents.

    Mike:
    >From a Darwinian perspective, it would seem obvious that there
    >would be some form of genetically-based inertia channeling people towards
    >heterosexuality as these genetic states would tend to predominate in a
    >population given they translate as increased fecundity (relative to a
    >homosexual
    >orientation).

    heterosexuality obviously predominates for obvious reasons. A relatively
    high rate of variation is important to evolution, though.

    >Suicide rates among homosexual teens are indeed high. But this may be a
    >function of natural selection (as has been claimed for rape). The cause
    >for that
    >suicide is usually a consequence of the peer-interactions that develop
    >among children
    >and then teens. Every boy can tell you that as a child, and then teen, one
    >of the most miserable things that can happen to you is to be labeled a
    >"sissy,"
    >"fag," or "gay-boy." This is like putting a sign on your back that says
    >"kick me"

    yes. As adults those former teens do things like make laws that say that
    gays can't marry. It's called cruelty. And, like homosexuality (and some
    fatal genetic diseases) it will probably never be bred out of the human
    race.

    > This, of course, would follow
    >their education about how natural selection worked so that most are also
    >potential rapists.

    see the Yahoo article I posted.

    >Just trying to make this topic fit on a evolution board,

    Gosh, thanks!

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/