Re: proof & truth

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 12:23:58 EST

    At 12:36 PM 03/06/2000 -0800, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
    >Steve Clark wrote:
    >
    > >This is an example of the phenomenon that if something is said often enough
    > >it becomes "truth". To say that people are born with a certain type of
    > >sexual orientation is to make a socio/political statement rather than a
    > >statement of biological fact. There is NOTHING that proves this
    > >proposition.
    >
    >Uh-oh, I have wondered when homosexuality was going to come
    >up in this evolution forum.
    >
    >Why should homosexuals' heartful protestations about what they
    >actually feel to be the case be ignored?

    Because it is subjective and not objective.

    >Why should an old biblical
    >view be upheld with arguments about the nature of scientific evidence?
    >There is NOTHING that proves the biblical view that the condition is
    >not a condition at all, but merely a sin.

    Who cares? I never said anything about sin or the bible. My point was
    that we need to distinguish between what we want to believe and what we
    know. Too often, people make absolute statements of what they want to
    believe and soon that belief becomes fact.

    My point is one of epistemology and not theology.