Re: non random mutations.

From: Huxter4441@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 17:26:11 EST

    In a message dated 2/22/00 3:03:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bertvan@aol.com
    writes:

    <<
      Bertvan:
    >>Do you believe children should be indoctrinated with your sincere
    >>belief that all mutations are random?

     Huxter:
    >**** Why would you characterize my statement as a 'sincere belief'? What
     'children' WOULD be >'indoctrinated' this? I was not aware that public
     school biology goes into such detail. Certainly, when I >took biology in
     high school, 'mutations' were not even mentioned.

     Bertvan:
     Huxter, I regard any of your statements as "sincere beliefs".

    @@@@ Why is that? If I state a fact, is that a 'sincere belief' too?

    In addition, I accept your motives as you state them, and acknowledge that
    you are
     intelligent and well educated. I extend the same courtesy to those,
     including myself, who disagree with you. Are you saying that Neo Darwinism
     is NOT defined in public school biology as "random mutation and natural
     selection as the explanation of Nature's diversity"?

    @@@@@ It may be - I haven't been in public school in 15 years. However, that
    is not what you wrote, now is it? Allow me to quote from just a few lines
    above: "Do you believe children should be indoctrinated with your sincere
    belief that all mutations are random?" I see no mention at all of selection
    in there anywhere. Awfully selective of you...

     Bertvan:
    >>How do you prove randomness? Maybe, like "god of the gaps",
    >>randomness will have to retreat as more mechanisms behind mutations are
    >>discovered .

     Huxter
    >***** Maybe. Maybe not. I suppose to appease folks like you we should
    just
     go into class and say, "Gee >- we really don't know EVERYTHING about
     EVERYTHING, so we might as well say nothing. Go home >now children, and ask
     no questions, because since we do not know EVERYTHING about >EVERYTHING, any
     answer I might give MIGHT be shown not exactly true at some point in the
     future."

     Bertvan:
      "Maybe. Maybe not" would satisfy me. I liked the disclaimer some people
     wanted inserted in biology text books, claiming something like, "No one was
     there millions of years ago, and no one knows for sure what happened. We
     hope you will study science, and maybe when you grow up you will work to
     answer some of these questions."

    @@@@ I would like to see a disclaimer put in all religious texts: "The
    following are the explanations of natural events as depicted by technically
    unsophisticated ancient peoples. The following tales are meant as 'moral
    stories', and have no basis in fact."

     My main objection to Neo Darwinism is insistence that it must be accepted,
    merely because no one has yet presented anything better. Isn't it was your
    position? That Neo Darwinism, for which there is evidence but no proof,
    shouldn't be questioned by people who see evidence of design -- but no
    proof?

    @@@@ Then you do not understand WHY such a sentiment is useful. Evidence but
    no proof - what constitutes proof? Is there proof of a supernatural entity?
    Is there proof of a grand designer? There isn't even proof of 'irreducibly
    complex' biological entities, much less 'intelligent design' of those
    entities. You do understand the difference between evidence and proof, doyou
    not?

     Bertvan:
    >>. It seems obvious to most of us that few scientists
    >>would expend much effort looking for something they don't believe exists.

     Huxter:
    >**** You mean like a supernatural entity responsible for everything from
    DNA
     mutations to the creation of the universe? I thought you were agnostic?
     WHY should they 'look for something they don't believe exists' when what
     DOES exist can address most any question they might ask?

     Bertvan:
     Present scientific explanations "address most any question anyone might ask,
     such as DNA mutations to the creation of the universe", to your
    satisfaction.
      Other people are less easily satisfied.

    @@@@ Then perhaps they should produce some RESULTS based on EVIDENCE that
    would act to convince their fellow scientists of the validity of their
    beliefs. Mathematical equations based on unrealistic assumptions and
    philosophical constructs are not 'proof' of anything.

       Many Design theorists have stated repeatedly that while Design is
     compatible with most religious beliefs, no religious belief is essential to
     the paradigm.

    @@@@ Sure they state that.... But that is a smokescreen. Look at their 'less
    guarded' writings, and their motivations are clear.

    The essence of the viewpoint merely claims evidence exists
     for regarding Nature as the result of a design, in which all of the parts
     play an intelligible role, and that such complexity could not have arisen
    by
     random, accidental processes, without plan, purpose or design.

    @@@ And that 'belief' is not based on scientific evidence - it is based on a
    lack or a perceived lack thereof, and a heaping helping of the 'awe' factor.

    Religious people may choose to believe their version of God is the designer,
    and
     agnostics might refrain from speculating about the matter. Neo Darwinism
     defenders seem to refuse to take the word of people who make this claim,
     insisting someone is secretly trying to impose religious beliefs upon them.

    @@@ Why should scientists 'take the word' of someone or some group that
    offers NO EVIDENCE, will not submit their 'disproofs' for peer review, and do
    indeed (haven't you read the 'mission statements' of these groups? the
    'biographies' of some of these ID authors?) want to inflict their religious
    views on others? Should scientists have 'taken Darwin's word' on the matter?

       The only theories which appear acceptable to such Darwin defenders, seem
     be those which specifically exclude everything except materialism. There
    are
     people who do not practice any organized religion, but who are also not
     materialists. Can you accept that?

    @@@@ I can accept that there are lots of people that are more secure in their
    own beliefs - whatever they might be - than in what is supportable with
    evidence. I can accept the words of the creationist that says 'I don't care
    about science - I believe the bible is true.' I cannot accept the
    creationist that says "I believe the bible is true and here is some 'science'
    (consisting almost exclusively of out of date and/or out of context quotes)
    disproving evolution.' I can accept some engineers and mathematicians
    ignorance-based forays into genetics and biology; I cannot accept their
    continued insistence that they are 'right' despite evidence that they are not.

     Huxter:
    >. Motives are, obviously, an important consideration.
    > If one is oath-bound to proclaim the 'truth' of their convictions,
    >does it not stand to reason that their claims just might be suspect?

     Bertvan:
     The motives should be suspect of anyone who has strong convictions about
     anything except those matters about which you have strong convictions? You
     must suspect the motives of a lot of people

    @@@@ I suspect the motives of those that are oath-bound to declare the
    'truth' of their beliefs at all costs. I have never taken an 'oath' of any
    sort, so I am not bound to 'defend my beliefs.' Apples and oranges.

     Huxter:
    >Do you consider it the 'stifling of dissent' to prevent astrology from
    > being 'taught' in public schools? How about the teaching of Native
    >American creation myths? Hindu? Why is it only the 'stifling of dissent'
    >when the 'dissenters' happen to subscribe to a certain religious creed to
    >one extent of another?

     Bertvan:
      If someone took to the courts to prevent anyone revealing to school
    children
     that some people believe in little green leprechauns, I personally would be
     inclined take another look at the evidence for little green leprechauns.

    @@@@ Just because some people 'believe in' something, you think it has
    validity? How credulous!

     Are you saying that school children should be protected from the knowledge
     that some people have religious beliefs? Should they be taught that all
     religious beliefs are wrong? Is materialism the only appropriate belief to
     be taught in school?

    @@@@ No, I am saying that public schools should not be little right-wing
    Christian indosctination centers. Do you really think that any other
    religion gets a fair shake in public schools? When the politicians were
    carrying on about 'prayer in school' - do you really think they meant Muslim
    prayer? Materialism, whatever its philosophical baggage might be, is not a
    religion - there is no figurehead(s), no rituals, etc.

     Do you insist than only materialism be taught in science classes? Would
    that
     exclude all non materialists from becoming scientists?

    @@@@ Only materialism should be taught in science class because there is
    only evidence for materialistic processes in nature. Imagine that! I must
    be a bigot, because I don't think elves and fairies and talking donkeys and
    parting seas should be 'taught' in science class....

      Bertvan