definitons

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 13:32:58 EST

    Hi David,
    You would define evolution as:

    EVOLUTION (in the context of high school -college level science curricula): =
    "The postulated process by which new, biologically beneficial, increasingly
    complex genetic code appears and accumulates over time in a pre-existing
    (simpler) gene pool by random mass/energy interactions."

    It sounds more like a definition Darwinism than that a definition of
    evolution. Evolution was a concept which predated Darwin. Darwin's
    contribution was the idea that natural selection was the actual creator of
    complex biological innovation. Even Darwin didn't go so far as to insist
    mutations were necessarily random and purposeless. Insistence upon
    randomness and lack of teleology were additions of more dedicated
    philosophical materialists. Even if you were to persuade a majority of
    scientists to agree upon a definition, an unlikely possibility, the
    controversy would continue. It is a question of whether reality can be
    completely described by naturalistic explanations. Perhaps, neither
    naturalism nor non-naturalism can be proved, but one or the other is a more
    accurate description of reality. I believe we went through a period where
    materialists were temporarily successful in intimidating many intellectuals
    into supporting materialism as a "fight against ignorance and superstition".
     I doubt such intimidation will survive the present open public debate.

    Bertvan