Definitions

From: David Bradbury (dabradbury@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 22:10:53 EST

    As one who has been sampling this site for some time I am truly
    intrigued by the wide range of views discussed ... and the reason and
    logic (or lack thereof) offered in the various presentations.

    While there are frequent references to the importance of proper
    "definitions" for the key terms included in many of the claimed
    assertions ... I am disappointed in the lack of precision
    (ambiguousness) in those definitions actually supplied. From past
    experience I've found the great bulk (90%+?) of all disagreement in the
    creation/evolution controversy is based more on poor semantics
    (imprecise, careless, selective, deceptive definitions) than to anything
    actually scientific. This appears to also be the case in many of the
    messages publishes here.

    To illustrate this point, let's get down to the basics. Can we spell
    out mutually acceptable, scientifically unambiguous definitions for
    these key terms? If we are all using the words to convey essentially
    the same meaning (within the context of tax-supported high school and
    college level science curricula) as we must if we hope to communicate
    effectively, this should be no difficult task. To the extent we have
    difficulty establishing mutually understood and acceptable definitions
    for key terms (and past experience suggests we will), the semantic
    nature of on-going disagreements will be identified and the door opened
    for more productive dialog in the future.

    Precise definition of just a few basic words as, "evolution", "science",
    "religion" and "creation" will be more than enough to illustrate this
    point.

    While you might be collecting your thoughts on all of these (and others
    of your choice), let us focus initially on just one. EVOLUTION.
    Specifically, what do you intend to convey to your readers when you use
    this un- hyphenated general term?... and ... is your intended definition