non random mutations

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:20:17 EST

    Hi Huxter,

    I do not indulge in speculations about God. I am an agnostic. I merely
    argue that when creationists claim God is the designer of mutations, they are
    on as firm a ground as materialists who insist mutations are random.
    Materialists complain that ID proponents would stifle scientific research, by
    attributing phenomena to God, rather than search of other explanation.
    Materialists have stifled scientific research for a over a century by
    insisting mutations must be random. Since "random mutation and natural
    selection as an explanation of macro evolution" became a passionately
    defended dogma of materialist philosophy, biologists have discouraged any
    search for other explanations. They have dogmatically announced that all
    forms of Lamarckism "have been discredited". Proponents of ID, on the
    other hand, are reluctant to accept anything in nature as "random.
    "Random" is merely an admission of ignorance of the process, according to
    Design theorists . Scientists following an ID philosophy would look for
    everything to be a functional piece of the design. Prodded by design
    proponents, more scientists are now looking for explanations other than
    "random", and I predict they will find examples of "use" or "the
    environment" exerting positive pressure for "rational" mutations. And if
    mutations are not random, the mutations themselves create biological novelty.
      Natural selection, also part of the design, would perform the function of
    eliminating "design errors", but I personally doubt Natural Selection is
    capable of "creating" anything.

    Bertvan