Re: The Kansas Science Education Standards

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 07:57:03 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 05:53:28 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    [...]

    >>SJ>...What I have claimed is that the new standards increased the
    >>>amount of *evolution* to be taught in Kansas over the old standards.

    >SB>and I've asked you to provide documentation for that statement and have
    >>been ignored.

    SJ>I would ask Susan to substantiate her claim that she has asked me "to
    >provide documentation for that statement", ie. that "the new standards
    >increased the amount of *evolution* to be taught in Kansas over the old
    >standards" and that I have "ignored" her request.
    >
    >AFAIK I have not been asked by *anyone* to provide such documentation.
    >I thought it was common grounds on both sides of the debate on this
    >Reflector that the KBoE "increased the amount of *evolution* to be taught
    >in Kansas over the old standards".
    >
    >But apparently not with Susan. So I have taken steps to provide such
    >documentation, or at least web links to where Susan can read it for herself.

    As promised, here is my documentation of my claim that "the new
    standards increased the amount of *evolution* to be taught in
    Kansas over the old standards" (ie. the old 1995 standards *in force*, not
    the proposed *draft* standards of July 1999 which were only partially
    adopted, with amendments, by the KBoE in August 1999).

    First, below are URLs for the Kansas Science Standards which have
    the original 1995 standards and the latest December 1999 standards:

    Old (1995) version:
    http://www.ksbe.state.ks.us/outcomes/science1.html

    The pro-Darwin Writing Committee Draft that was presented in July,
    1999: http://www.ksbe.state.ks.us/outcomes/scidraft5.html
    (Note this link now has no standards, only a statement about
    copyright problems).

    The Standards that were actually adopted August 11, 1999:
    http://www.ksbe.state.ks.us/outcomes/science_stds99.html
    (Note this link also now has no standards, only a statement about
    copyright problems).

    The current adopted standards, with minor changes are at:
    www.ksbe.state.ks.us/outcomes/science_12799.html

    Below also is an op-ed article by Jonathan Wells in "The Daily
    Republic" of October 14, 1999 which analyses the difference
    between the old original 1995 standards and those adopted by the
    KBoE in August 1999. Unfortunately "The Daily Republic" only
    keeps its archives on line for 7 days but the article is on the web
    at: http://www.errantskeptics.org/Ridiculing_Kansas.htm.

    As Wells points out, "The old science standards, in effect since
    1995, devoted about 70 words to biological evolution" but "The
    standards actually adopted by the Board on August 11 include
    about 390 words on the subject" which is "a fivefold increase". And
    in fact, as Wells observes, "the Board adopted verbatim the
    Committee's summary of Darwin's theory: `Natural selection
    includes the following concepts: 1) Heritable variation exists in
    every species; 2) some heritable traits are more advantageous to
    reproduction and/or survival than are others; 3) there is a finite
    supply of resources available for life; not all progeny survive; 4)
    individuals with advantageous traits generally survive; 5) the
    advantageous traits increase in the population through time.'" and
    as Wells says, "It would be difficult to find a better summary of
    Darwin's theory of natural selection; Kansas students will now be
    tested on it."

    I haven't got time to do a gap analysis between the old 1995
    standards and the new December 1999 standards, but here are the
    places in the old standards where the word "evolution" (or its
    cognates) occurs in the old 1995 standards:

    "Grades 6-8. Identifies patterns of change in the natural and
    technological world as trends, cycles, or chaos. (Example:
    Examines a variety of changing earth conditions, chemical
    reactions, biotic changes as trends, cycles, or chaos; traces the
    evolution of the automobile, airplane, etc. and identifies patterns)"

    "Grades 9-12. Analyzes the effects of variables on patterns of
    change (trends, cycles, or chaos [nonlinear dynamics]). (Example:
    Explains how environmental changes impact species' survival;
    interprets evolutionary aspects of species development and
    adaptations; analyzes the effect of human actions on environmental
    quality; models how seasonal changes are related to orbital
    changes; analyzes the variables that affect flight)"

    "As a result of activities in grades 9-12, all students should develop
    an understanding of: ... * mechanisms and consequences of
    biological evolution,..."

    "As a result of activities of grades 9-12, all students should develop
    an understanding of: ... * origin and evolution of the earth system,
    and * origin and evolution of the universe."

    "PATTERNS OF CHANGE: Patterns of change are of particular
    interest because much of science is about how things evolve and
    how one change is related to another...Change can be classified
    into three general categories: (1) changes that are steady trends;
    (2) changes that are cyclic; and (3) chaotic changes. A system may
    contain all three kinds of change occurring together, for example,
    the patterns of evolution."

    "Conceptual Models. One way to give an unfamiliar thing meaning
    is to liken it to some familiar thing-that is, to use metaphor or
    analogy....For example, the metaphor for the repealed [sic]
    branching of species in the "tree of evolution" may incline one to
    think not just of branching but also of upward progress; the
    metaphor of a bush, on the other hand, suggests that the branching
    of evolution produces great diversity in all directions, without a
    preferred direction that constitutes progress."

    There are other biological terms mentioned but these are all those
    places that mention "evolution" and its cognates.

    I have now provided the documentation and/or links to it that Susan
    requested. Now If Susan wants to wade through the old 1995
    standards and the new December 1999 standards to produce a
    comprehensive gap analysis which shows where the new
    December 1999 (or August 1999) standards adopted by the KBoE
    have *not* "increased the amount of *evolution* to be taught in
    Kansas over the old [1995] standards", she is welcome to do it.
    Unfortunately I just don't have the time anymore to do it myself.

    Ridiculing Kansas school board easy, but it's not good journalism

    Jonathan Wells
    The Daily Republic (Mitchell, SD)
    October 14, 1999

    Wizard of Oz jokes are in vogue as the news media scramble to
    ridicule Kansas for downplaying, eliminating, or even banning
    evolution in its public schools. But the people who are writing such
    stuff apparently haven't read the Kansas Science Education
    Standards. The truth is that the August 11 School Board decision
    actually increased public school emphasis on evolution.

    The old science standards, in effect since 1995, devoted about 70
    words to biological evolution. Standards proposed to the Board
    earlier this year by a 27-member Science Education Standards
    Writing Committee would have increased this to about 640 words.
    The standards actually adopted by the Board on August 11 include
    about 390 words on the subject. So the Kansas State School
    Board, asked to approve a ninefold increase in the standards for
    evolution, approved a fivefold increase instead.

    Of course, word counts dont tell the whole story. But the 390 words
    approved by the Board include many of the provisions
    recommended by the Committee. For example, the Board adopted
    verbatim the Committee's summary of Darwin's theory: "Natural
    selection includes the following concepts: 1) Heritable variation
    exists in every species; 2) some heritable traits are more
    advantageous to reproduction and/or survival than are others; 3)
    there is a finite supply of resources available for life; not all progeny
    survive; 4) individuals with advantageous traits generally survive; 5)
    the advantageous traits increase in the population through time." It
    would be difficult to find a better summary of Darwin's theory of
    natural selection; Kansas students will now be tested on it.

    The Board also required students to understand that
    "microevolution...favors beneficial genetic variations and
    contributes to biological diversity," and listed finch beak changes as
    an example. The Board declined, however, to adopt the
    Committee's proposal requiring students to understand that
    microevolution leads to macroevolution -- the origin of new
    structures and new groups of organisms. The Board's reluctance is
    understandable, since even some biologists doubt that changes in
    finch beaks can explain the origin of finches in the first place.

    There were some other recommendations the Board did not follow,
    as well. For example, the Committee would have required students
    to understand: "The common ancestry of living things allows them
    to be classified into a hierarchy of groups." This requirement would
    no doubt have come as a surprise to 18th century creationist
    Carolus Linnaeus, who had no need of common ancestry when he
    devised the hierarchical system of classification still used by
    modern biologists.

    Even more interesting than the details, however, was the
    Committee's bid to inject Darwinian evolution into the very heart of
    science. According to the 1995 standards, science embodies "four
    general themes: Energy/Matter, Patterns of Change, Systems and
    Interactions, and Stability and Models." Furthermore, "it is the
    nature of science to provide a means for producing knowledge,
    using processes such as observing, classifying, questioning,
    inferring,...[and] collecting and recording data." The Science
    Education Standards Writing Committee proposed to add a fifth
    general theme, "patterns of cumulative change," an example of
    which is the biological theory of evolution.

    As a biologist myself, I find this strange. Why list a specific theory
    such as biological evolution among general themes such as
    systems and interactions, or basic processes such as collecting
    and recording data? That's like inserting a specific law into a
    constitution designed to establish a framework for law-making.

    Why did the 1995 standards have to be changed at all? The
    Committee's proposal was a product of recent nationwide efforts by
    people who believe that Darwinian evolution is indispensable to
    biological science. A rallying cry for these efforts is Theodosius
    Dobzhansky's famous maxim, Nothing in biology makes sense
    except in the light of evolution. But Dobzhansky was mistaken.
    There are entire areas of biology that have no need for evolutionary
    theory, and there is evidence that the most sweeping claims of
    Darwinism are wrong. More importantly, there can be no such
    thing as an indispensable theory in science. A true scientist would
    say that nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of
    evidence.

    The standards adopted by the Kansas State School Board are far
    from perfect. Biology education would have been better served if
    students had been required to understand macroevolutionary
    theory, though they should also be taught the scientific evidence
    against it. Under the circumstances, however, the Board may have
    done the best it could. Faced with national pressure to include
    Darwin's theory in its description of the very nature of science, the
    Board courageously resisted, stocking the shelves with more
    evolution but refusing to hand over the store.

    News commentators who ridicule Kansas for downplaying,
    eliminating, or even banning evolution from its schools not only
    misrepresent the truth, but they also miss the real story. Why do
    Darwinists go ballistic at the thought of high school students
    questioning their theory? Why do biology textbooks continue to cite
    evidence for evolution that was long ago discredited? How many
    qualified scientists have lost their teaching jobs or their research
    funding just because they dared to criticize Darwinism? How many
    millions of your tax dollars will be spent this year by Darwinists
    trying to find evidence for a theory they claim is already proven
    beyond a reasonable doubt? There's enough here to keep a team
    of investigative journalists busy for months.

    Years ago, when asked why the media were spending so much
    time covering the O.J. Simpson trial, a news commentator said, "It's
    easy work." Ridiculing Kansas is easy work, too. But is it good
    journalism?

    Jonathan Wells is a post-doctoral biologist and Senior Fellow at the
    Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture
    in Seattle.

    "If it is true that an influx of doubt and uncertainty actually marks periods
    of healthy growth in a science, then evolutionary biology is flourishing
    today as it seldom has flourished in the past. For biologists collectively are
    less agreed upon the details of evolutionary mechanics than they were a
    scant decade ago. Superficially, it seems as if we know less about evolution
    than we did in 1959, the centennial year of Darwin's on the Origin of
    Species." (Eldredge N., "Time Frames: The Rethinking of Darwinian
    Evolution and the Theory of Punctuated Equilibria", Simon & Schuster:
    New York NY, 1985, p14)