Re: Let's Teach Creationism

From: Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:02:19 EST

    At 06:49 AM 1/27/00 +0800, you wrote:
    >Reflectorites
    >
    >On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:56:05 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:
    >
    >SB>This was also posted to the other list I am on and thought it might make
    >>for interesting reading.
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >> LET'S TEACH CREATIONISM
    >> by Bart Kosko
    >>
    >> Fundamentalist Christians are correct: creationism should be taught in the
    >> schools. But they won't like the results.
    >
    >I would of course be happy if *all* forms of "creationism" were taught in
    >schools, ie. Progressive and Mediate Creation, as well as Young-Earth
    >Creation.

    when examined in the light of the scientific method, do you really think it
    would help your case?

    >And also part of the teaching of "creationism" would be bringing out the
    >problems and hidden metaphysical assumptions of evolution.

    the "hidden" metaphysical assumption is that science cannot address
    religious questions and does not. Even if every scientist on the planet
    (even the non-Christian ones) believed and knew for certain that everything
    were designed personally by the hands of God Almighty, science still could
    not deal with religious questions. It's asking it to do something it simply
    cannot do.

    >I am sure that the leading evolutionists realise that, otherwise they would
    >have long ago allowed creationism to be taught in schools alongside
    >evolution.

    Nah. The First Amendment forbids the government to esablish a state religion
    and that includes teaching Christian origins myths in science class.

    >I find amusingly naive the statement: "science demands mechanisms. It
    >demands to know how something happens". Apart from the fact that this is
    >simply false: Newton proposed his theory of gravity with no mechanism,
    >just a description; what exactly is the "mechanisms" of the origin of life and
    >macroevolution, for starters?

    "origin of life" is abiogenesis and doesn't have anything to do with
    evolution. The mechanisms for abiogenesis are chemistry and physics. For
    evolution, the mechanisms are variation and selection.

    Susan

    --------
    Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb