Re: USA Today on dino-bird hoax

From: sejones@iinet.net.au
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 22:05:21 EST

    Reflectorites

    Check out this *devastating* article in USA Today.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/acovtue.htm
    USA TODAY

    [...]

    02/01/00- Updated 12:04 AM ET

    The 'missing link' fossil that wasn't
    By Tim Friend, USA TODAY

    From the remote Liaoning Province of China, an unusual dinosaur
    fossil has made a mysterious journey from the hands of Chinese
    smugglers to the polished halls of the National Geographic Society
    in Washington.

    And like some curse from a mummy's tomb, the archeaoraptor,
    supposedly a bird-like creature with the tail of a meat-eating
    dinosaur, has brought to those who would possess it what may be
    remembered as modern paleontology's greatest embarrassment.

    I personally agree with Zhou's position (except for the words
    "evolved from " which I would replace with "share a common
    ancestor with"):

    "Zhou in China takes a point in between. He says he personally
    believes that birds did indeed evolve from dinosaurs but that
    none of the evidence is clear-cut. Things that look like feathers
    in fossils may be something else entirely."

    But I am sure that the general public will be much more sceptical
    of confident evolutionist claims after this, and it will make it
    that much easier for ID to gain a hearing.

    Steve