Re: evolution and stewardship

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 15:13:23 EST

    > Please consider this argument and forward to me [via Chadwick] any
    >comments, examples, or citations that you feel will be helpful....
    >The natural conclusion is that we have a higher moral sense that
    >guides us to protect our environment, not because we are
    >all descended from mother earth ( that would lead to self interest), but
    >because we are commissioned by our creator to preserve.

    This view seems to me antithetical to what The Bible teaches: that
    the earth and its creatures exist or not at God's pleasure, not ours;
    that we are to use up the earth and its biota unabashedly, that the holy
    should prosper; and that earthly life is merely a test and a temporary
    abode for us. I'd like to hear some biblical quotes about this 'commission
    to preserve'.

    I wish I could remember the name of Ronald Reagan's controversial
    secretary of the interior, steward of nation's resources; controversial
    because he believed that judgment day was imminent, obviating any
    need for conservation.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com