RE: A Ladder of Positions Concerning Intelligent Design

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:11:45 -0600

This reads more like a political than a HQ scientific or philosophical
document.

It's a free country -- but don't expect people to take these kinds of
polemics as science, or as rigorous philosophy. And while "define your way
to victory" is a common political strategy, it's also notoriously dishonest
and unfair.

I continue to be disappointed in the quality of arguments that go out under
the ID tag. Even if there is merit to what they're saying, sometimes it
seems they're doing their best to keep them hidden from those who aren't
already convinced. There are genuine insights behind some of the ID claims,
I think -- but it's almost like they just can't figure out ways to express
them without name calling, simplistic overstatement, and sloppy mistakes.

Their critics are often enough in the same boat, of course. But then, their
critics can afford to be sloppy, wrt persuasive rigor, since they're the
status quo. If ID wants to succeed, it needs to be smarter than the
opposition, not just fair to middlin' so far as rigor goes. And wrt this
document, "fair to middlin'" is being generous.

Just one example: by this set of definitions, pretty much every theistic
evolutionist would be firmly in the design camp. No problem there. But
then, why do ID theorists continually attack theistic evolutionists as not
believing in design, as being "theistic naturalists", etc. etc. If they
want to use the notions below, fine. But then there should be never a peep
that evolutionary creationists reject design simply because they criticize
the arguments for what usually passes as ID (what would be called rungs 7
and 8 here).

Okay, one more example: these rungs are not mutually exclusive, -based on
the way the terms are ordinarily used-: one can be an atheistic naturalist
(in the ordinary sense of the words) and still be at rung 8, e.g. (Of
course, one can redefine "atheistic naturalist" -- which is itself redundant
in the common use of the terms -- to mean "atheist who rejects design", but
that's a bizarre and misleading coinage.)

I take it YEC would be rung 9 or 10? Interesting that they don't put it
here. (They may want to leave themselves at the top of the ladder lest they
make their metaphor work against them.)

Steve, do you know if this set of definitions is being widely adopted in the
ID movement? Given their prima facie incoherence, I hope not, of course.
But these defns are a -start- toward rigor.