Re: Fred Hoyle's `Mathematics of Evolution'

Gary Collins (gary.collins@etl.ericsson.se)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:00:48 +0000

"Stephen E. Jones" wrote:

> But the protein for Histone-4 is coded for by a gene, the histone H4 gene.
> But this is even more invariant, only differing in 2 loci out of 306!:

[rest snipped]

I would be interested to know how a gene can be more invariant than the protein it
codes for. Less invariant I could understand as being due to the redundancy of the
genetic code: more than one triplet can result in a given amino acid at a given
position in the protein sequence. But I'm having trouble working out how it can be
more invariant.

/Gary

--

Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloweenbecause OCT 31 == DEC 25 !