Re: Why lie?

Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:55:23 -0600

>Susan B wrote:
>
>>Stephen quotes:
>>"The fossil record with its abrupt transitions offers no support for gradual
>>change...Yet the unnecessary link that Darwin forged became a central tenet
>>of the synthetic theory."
>>
>>The original version reads "The fossil record with its abrupt transitions
>>offers no support for gradual change, and the principle of natural selection
>>does not require it--selection can operate rapidly."
>>
>>As you can see the portion left out was brief, but it refutes what Stephen
>>was saying. The missing verbage changes the meaning of the paragraph and
>>reveals that Gould does *not* agree that variation and selection are
>>controversial.

Cliff Lundberg:
>I don't see how the meaning is changed. SJ says "unnecessary" and the
>quoted text says "does not require".

That's Gould saying "unnecessary." He's saying that strict gradualism is
not necessary to evolutionary theory. What Stephen said was that increase
in variation was controversial and then posted a portion of a discussion of
the rate of evolution (an entirely different discussion) as support for his
assertion, and quote had been altered to make it seem to support his
argument better.

>>I think the point is obvious. ID is propaganda, just as the quotes Stephen
>>picks up here and there (I *don't* believe he's read all those books) are
>>propaganda. Truth-value is secondary as long as doubt seems to be cast on
>>evolution and Christian mythology seems to be science.
>
>If truth-value were primary to you, you wouldn't speculate about whether
>he's reading books or just magically finding the quotes he uses.

No magic involved. Lists of creationist out-of-context quotes are all over
the web. He has links to some of them from his own website. Do you really
think he's read all those books?

Susan

For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
this one.
--Albert Camus

http://www.telepath.com/susanb/