Re: tetrapoidy in mammals

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:35:43 +0000

At 08:56 AM 11/11/1999 -0400, R. Joel Duff wrote:
What boggles the mind is that polyploidy could even occur in
>mammals when one thinks about all the obstacles that have to be overcome to
>maintain some sence of normallacy for these animals. On top of that the
>Red Viscacha appears to uneffected at this point by carrying around twice
>the genetic material that most other mammals though its sperm heads are
>twice the size of other related rats. This is really an amazing example of
>something that seems virtually impossible but there it is.

Wow. Thanks for that. My Natures are a bit slow in getting here since I
moved to Houston. A polyploid animal would have an increased information
content. By the way I have heard that there is some evidence of polyploidy
in guinea pigs, but I can't find the reference just now.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm