Re: chance is incompatible with God's creation? (was

mortongr@flash.net
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:25:00 +0000

At 07:04 AM 11/09/1999 -0500, Matthew Heaney wrote:
>Glenn said:
>
>>>Any debate about whether "God is compatible with chance" is strictly a
>>>theological debate. It has nothing to do with evolutionary theory.
>>
>> Au contraire. The entire creation/evolution debate IS a theological debate.
>
>Je ne suis pas d'accord. It is a debate among some theologians, but not
>among scientists.

I didn't say it was.

>When biologists are at their day jobs, trying to answer questions about
>biology, they don't spend any time debating whether their findings are
>in conflict with God or any other supernatural entity.
>
>(Of course, many scientists are religious, so maybe they do think about
>God along the way, but they certainly don't discuss that in their
>scientific publications.)

I don't know how long you have been around here but originally this list
was a place where those of us who are christians could debate the issues.
That in and of itself brought theology to bear on the questions. The list
was originally started by Phil Johnson and was open by invitation only.
When he left, Terry Gray took it over and he, at that time was at Calvin
college which is the place everything is archived today. I admit that over
the past six months the nature of this list has changed, due to the
addition of many people who do not share the religious faith of many of us
here. That being said, I will continue to examine the theological issues
involved with evolution even if some of the new comers don't like it or
find it irrelevant. But once again, as I have noted a couple of months ago,
the usefulness of this list is going down in that regard.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm