RE: Two more gaps in the fossil record

Don Frack (dcfrack@sowest.net)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:15:23 -0700

On Saturday, October 16, 1999 10:11 PM Cliff Lundberg wrote:

> I found this on the web, which may be of interest. Note that the
> subject is
> a *saurischian*, not *ornithischian* dinosaur. I quote all the
> substance of the web page:
> <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Crete/1960/Coelophysis.htm>

> COELOPHYSIS

[snip]

> CLASSIFICATION
> Coelophysis was a saurischian ("lizard-hipped") dinosaur, and
> atheropod. Its
> further classification is
> disputed, but it may be aceratosaurian. It is closely related to
> Rioarribasaurus (or may be the
> same genus).
> Coelophysis (collections of many fossils of one location).

I don't understand your point, Cliff. The topic of discussion was hollow
bones. You present a web site discussion of Coelophysis, which I can only
assume you think has relevance because it is a Saurichian, a "lizard-hipped
dinosaur". Therapods are saurichians, ceratosaurians are theropods,
Coelophysis is a ceratosaurian (even if sunk into Rioarribasaurus).
Maniraptorians are also theropods, birds are classified with other
maniraptors by dinosaur taxonomists.

What's your point?

Don Frack