Re: Well-financed creationists?

mortongr@flash.net
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:23:05 +0000

At 12:54 PM 10/13/1999 EDT, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:
>Glenn writes:
>
><< I have heard this argument a million times since I got into the
> creation/evolution arena. The 'Oh if only the bad Feds would fund us we
> could solve our problems' wail. What they need is good thinking, not
>funding.>>
>
>It would be nice if we could test this. Have the Feds set aside two million
>a year targeted for "ID research." I suspect this is a form of affirmative
>action the public would support (and it's also a very small amount of
>money). Then, after 10 years of this research, have a big conference
>presenting the results.

The problem is, as Joel put it so well, the ID movement isn't interested in
the real world. By that I mean, they must present a testable hypothesis,
which means they must tell the funding agency what they think happened in
the past. They can't get funding for telling the funding agency, "I don't
believe evolution happened, I don't know how life occurred, I don't know
how life changes/evolves, I don't know whether geology and paleontology are
correct or not, but I want lots of money to run experiments to confirm what
I don't know." As we say down here in Texas, 'That dawg won't hunt'.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm