Re: Purpose in nature

mortongr@flash.net
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:00:12 +0000

At 05:24 PM 7/26/99 GMT, David J. Tyler wrote:
>Glenn Morton wrote on Thu, 22 Jul 1999.
>
>Marcio Pie has responded in ways that I am sympathetic with.
>However, I will respond to Glenn's original post.
>
>> Suppose I hide a strong electromagnetic wire under the floor of my house
>> going from my favorite chair to the window. I then manufacture a toy car
>> that moves randomly but has a slight tendency to move toward strong
>> magnetic fields. [snip]
>
>Your example is full of "design" ingredients. It does not provide
>much of an analogy with the forces of natural selection - your
>selection force is easily identifiable and consistent. It is
>possible to predict its effect.

That is precisely my point, David. God designed the world. God put the
constraints into the system which would allow us to evolve. You
misunderstand. It is not an analogy with natural selection. It is an
analogy of what outcomes are possible AFTER natural selection has had its
effect. WHat I am saying is tha God designed a system that would allow only
certain outputs. Random mutation and selection, like worms on the computer
screensaver, would eventually get to each point in the DNA phase space.

>> God essentially placed hidden wires into the fabric of the universe. These
>> hidden wires are buried in the sequence spaces of the DNA.
>
>One might expect your analogy to be "random variations" to be
>analogous to mutations, "hidden wires" to be analogous to natural
>selection.

No. the hidden wires are the possible outcomes of random mutation and
selection. Not all DNA sequences result in a living being. Those regions
of DNA delimit what mutations are possible. By this means, God was able to
direct evolution using random mutations. Only certain mutations would
result in a viable being capable of leaving offspring.

The way you are developing the analogy requires some
>mental effort.

I am not a great communicator.
>I think you ought really say "hypothetical small regions". No one
>has yet established their existence.

Agreed. Do you have evidence AGAINST their existence?

>I accept that this would be the Darwinian way of looking at things.
>The Basic Type biologist would have a similar portrayal of genomic
>phase space - but involving Basic Type clouds and without the
>hypothetical linkages.

In hypergeometric spaces, one finds unexpected connections. The worlds of
higher dimensions are not like our world.

But if the Basic Type biologist would portray genomic phase space similarly
but lacking the connections, I have one question for these fellows. Why do
we not find EVERY single species in CAmbrian rocks? It seems to me that if
God created the living beings once and for all, and then the flood
destroyed all life, and the connections aren't there, why don't we find
kittly cats in the Cambrian? After all, if no species can travel down these
tunnels, and all caverns of viability are isolated chambers, then why did
God not create kitty cats till the end of the Flood? Actually long after
the flood within your flood theory (in which the flood ended at the Permian.

>>From a Basic Type perspective, speciation has begun well before this
>time. Speciation occurs as the "dots move around in the cloud
>region". This is a fundamental difference between Basic Type Biology
>and Darwinism. For Darwinists, all speciation is evolution. For BT
>biologists, speciation is a secondary effect: exploring different
>permutations of genetic information but always within the Basic Type.

So you are saying that a whale can re-evolve into a mesonychid? Can you
give one example of an animal species re-exploring territory previously
explored?
I bet you can't.

>> Further random
>> mutations will force a few of the members of species 1 to travel down the
>> tunnel into the region of the new species, species 2.
>
>This is loaded terminology! Mutations do not force anything! This
>is where you need natural selection in your scenario.

Yes they do in phase space. A mutation is equivalent to a motion in phase
space. Mutations cause all motion in the DNA phase space.

>> Here is the important part. God created the sequence spaces when he
>> created the DNA system. God laid down the paths of the sequence space. HE
>> DETERMINED THEM.
>
>I hope we can all agree on this. This to me is intelligent design.
>The sequence space is information-rich, and the source of biological
>information is an intelligent Being, not a physical process.

David, that is what I have been saying for years. Why have you not been
listening until now? God created the universe, God created the phase
spaces. Evolution is God's mechanism for creating us. It IS INTELLIGENT
DESIGN.

>Glenn, your punch line has the biggest mental leap! You need to
>demonstrate:
>(a) that the sequence space is "rigged",

It is as much due to faith as your flood view is due to faith. I can't
demonstrate the former, yet, any more than you can demonstrate the flood
took place in the Paleozoic.

>(b) that a random walk of genomes leads to man.

See the paleontological record!

>Both these principles are resolutely opposed by mainstream
>Darwinists.

No they are not. I have posted my views on Talk Origins, where they eat
christians for breakfast. My views are not opposed by them. They don't
belived them, but they are not opposed. Not opposed like your views.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm