Re: Purpose in nature

Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:30:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> Randomly mutating a population makes the dots move around in the cloud
> region. Eventually some of the dots will make it into the tunnel
> connecting the two clouds. Speciation then had begun. Further random
> mutations will force a few of the members of species 1 to travel down the
> tunnel into the region of the new species, species 2. Now, to the
> observer, who is not paying attention to the sequence space geometry, the
> mutations appear random and indeed they are. But the pathway from species
> 1 to species 2 creates a situation where eventually some small population
> will travel down the tunnel and create species 2.
>
> Here is the important part. God created the sequence spaces when he
> created the DNA system. God laid down the paths of the sequence space. HE
> DETERMINED THEM. What you you looks like lack of purpose is because you are
> not looking at the right place. God purposed that we would exist and he
> rigged the sequence space so that a random walk of genomes would eventually
> lead to us.

Interesting idea. However, current understanding of speciation processes
suggests that the most common speciation process (allopatric) involves
geographical separation of ancestral populations + differences in
selective environment between those populations. Genetic drift may help,
but is not necessary. If that is true, the forces generating species
formation are *outside* the influence of the genome. How to reconcile this
with your scenario?

Marcio