Re: Neanderthal Hybrid round 2

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:00:02 +0800

Reflectorites

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:54:17 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:

[...]

>GM>However, he [Trinkaus] did state that there is a clear
>>"difference particularly in the development of the pectoralis major
>>insertion on the humerus". This difference is found among Neanderthal
>>children as well as adults. Thus this muscle attachment is diagnostic of
>>Neanderthal ancestry.

SJ>Thanks to Glenn for this also. But I will return to compliment and check this
>out from *my* sources.

[...]

>GM>From the leg information and from this muscle attachment, the child must
>>have had Neanderthal parentage.

SJ>Trinkaus may believe that, but he does not actually say in the above article
>that "the child must have had Neanderthal parentage." This is Glenn's
>*interpretation*. All along Glenn's over-enthusaistic claims have been ahead
>of the evidence.

I sent Glenn's comments and quotes from Trinkaus off to Dr Stringer with the
following request:

>SJ>I would appreciate your advice on whether you consider these "pectoralis
>>major insertion on the humerus" are uniquely diagnostic of Neandertals.

Dr Stringer has now briefly replied as follows:

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:55:30 +0100, Chris Stringer wrote:

[...]

CS>Steve, Thanks for this. I cannot comment on Erik's observations without
>further work, but I still don't read his statements as suggesting that this
>morphology is diagnostic, only suggestive....Best, Chris

[...]

So Stringer agrees with my interpretation that Trinkaus is not actually
*publicly* claiming that this "pectoralis major insertion on the humerus"
is "uniquely diagnostic of Neandertals".

Glenn is thus going beyond the evidence with his dogmatic assertion
that "the child must have had Neanderthal parentage."

Personally I am content to let the matter rest there, until further work is
done on the fossil.

Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@iinet.net.au
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ senojes@hotmail.com
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)