Re: IC

Tim Ikeda (tikeda@sprintmail.hormel.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:13:27 -0500

Ami writes:
>Cliff:
>
>>the forearm as a simple example
>
>An example of what is not IC is not evidence that there is no IC. Every
>case where IC is claimed must be weighed on its own merits.

What the does the term, "IC" stand for in this discussion thread?
I though it was short for "irreducibly complex". However, in recent
discussions I've seen it used as if "IC" = "Can't have evolved",
which is not the proper use of the term "irreducibly complex" as
it has been discussed in the past on this list.

"IC"ness a description about a functional interdependance, not
evolvability, per se.

Fact: IC systems (pace Behe) exist in organisms.
One question is whether they can evolve. (Some certainly can. Big deal.
I've posted on this before.) The latest focus seems to be whether certain
"really complex" IC systems can evolve. An interesting question but not
one likely to be resolved in many cases (Resolvability decreases with
increasing ages of the systems).

Regards,
Tim Ikeda
tikeda@sprintmail.hormel.com (despam address before use)