Re: old dna

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:53:11 GMT

Andrew wrote on 8th February:

> I was wondering if anyone has retrieved ancient DNA from amber insects or
> wooly mammaths or any old sources? Is this even possible? If some has been
> looked over what have we found that relates to evolution or maybe even the
> molecular clok rates.

Yes. This has been done and it has yielded much controversy. Some
now think that all DNA from amber is contamination - but this is by
no means agreed. A 1993 article pointing out the implications if the
DNA is genuinely present in these fossils is at:
http://www.pages.org/bcs/Bcs041.html
Fossil DNA in amber and implications for geological time

Hope this helps,
David J. Tyler.