Re: Test your knowledge of evolutionary theory

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:51:04 -0500

"Arthur V. Chadwick" wrote:

> Quiz for Evolution net subscribers: Test your understanding of modern
> evolutionary theory:
>
> Modern evolutionary theory now recognizes that evolution:
>
> a. moves toward a more perfect state and toward greater complexity.
> b. moves toward a more perfect state, but does not always move toward a
> greater complexity.
> c. does not move toward a more perfect state but does move toward greater
> complexity.
> d. does not move toward a more perfect state nor even toward greater
> complexity.
> e. is driven by inheritance of acquired characteristics.
>
> The correct answer according to the test bank that comes with Solomon
> et.al. (Saunders) is:
>
> d. does not move toward a more perfect state nor even toward greater
> complexity.

For the record, I knew the answer. <G>

> Now if we could only get evolutionists (or even the writers of the
> textbooks) to recognize that!

Frankly, I have seen the misconception that the above questions seeks to
dispel more often believed by creationists than by evolutionists. Concerning
the complexity issue, for example, Vardiman says in ICR Impact #162 that
"...evolution is supposed to be open-ended, continuing indefinitely its
growth in order". Likewise Henry Morris, who writes in ICR Impact #141 that
"...evolution is supposed to be a universal law of increasing complexity." I
don't know how many times I have heard creationists contrast the biblical
notion of The Fall, or even the laws of thermodynamics, with the claim that
evolution requires "constant improvement towards perfection". Certainly there
are some in the evolution camp who mistakenly believe that evolution is some
inexorable process of increasing complexity and greater perfection, but I
have almost invariably heard this false notion used by creationists to
discredit evolution.

Ed