RE: Cambridge Publishes Neo-Creationism

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 16:45:48 -0500

At 07:32 AM 11/4/98 -0500, Randy wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Kevin L. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Greetings Randy:
>>
>> "To me the 'specialness' of the universe is based on the seemingly
fine-tuned physical constants that make my life possible here(although
>the fact of this fine-tuning may not be as evident as I previously
thought). This specialness is independent of my belief in it."

Perhaps its not as evident as you originally thought but it is
still evident. You just have to change "make my life possible"
to "make any life possible" to avoid being to egocentric ;-).

There has been confusion from the inception of the AP as to whether
its anthropocentric. This confusion, IMHO, simply comes from an
unfortunate naming of the principle. If one looks at the actual
examples of fine-tuning you'll see that they have generally to
do with the existence of life and not the existence of "us".

Now, you will hear arguments about how there could be other
forms of life no one has thought of. True, but in science
there is always uncertainty. Also, in science, one tries to
avoid unfounded speculation. The true believer can always
imagine situations that will rescue their faith. For example,
one can imagine that bacteria didn't exist before the fall.
One can imagine that God created the universe with apparent
age to look just like it evolved. One can imagine that the
invisible pink unicorn created the universe last thursday.
One can imagine that there are all kinds of life possible
that no one has thought of yet. :)

[...]

Brian Harper
Associate Professor