RE: neanderthal dna

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:12:51 -0500

At 04:37 PM 9/20/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
>GM>Stephen this is not correct. Even if Neanderthals are to be classified as
>>Homo neanderthalensis, he is still a member of OUR genus, not a separate
>>genus. The genus is Homo the species is the second name.
>
>Glenn is quite right. Homo neanderthalensis would be a species in the
>same genus Homo that we are in. Thanks to Glenn for bringing this slip to my
>attention.
>
>Of course this does not change my main point that if Neandertal Man is
>moved from Homo sapiens neanderthalensis (a subspecies of the species
>Homo sapiens) to Homo neanderthalensis (a separate species of the genus
>Homo), then this "underlines the uniqueness of Homo sapiens."

Actually, if Neanderthal is NOT in our species then the fact that
Neanderthal made tents, made stone tools more complex than those made by
Australian Aborigines, made at least 3 kinds of musical instruments, hunted
big game by means of wooden spears, and buried their dead with flowers,
would UNDERLINE THE LACK of the uniqueness of Homo Sapiens. IF they did
all the things our ancestors did, then we are NOT unique.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood