RE: neanderthal dna

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:37:40 +0800

Group

On Fri, 04 Sep 1998 18:57:28 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

SJ>Theologically, the find underlines the uniqueness of Homo sapiens,
>>since it shows that Homo neandertalensis is a separare genus, and not
>>a sub-species of Homo sapiens as evolutionists once thought.

GM>Stephen this is not correct. Even if Neanderthals are to be classified as
>Homo neanderthalensis, he is still a member of OUR genus, not a separate
>genus. The genus is Homo the species is the second name.

Glenn is quite right. Homo neanderthalensis would be a species in the
same genus Homo that we are in. Thanks to Glenn for bringing this slip to my
attention.

Of course this does not change my main point that if Neandertal Man is
moved from Homo sapiens neanderthalensis (a subspecies of the species
Homo sapiens) to Homo neanderthalensis (a separate species of the genus
Homo), then this "underlines the uniqueness of Homo sapiens."

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ senojes@hotmail.com
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)