Re: Irreducible Complexity

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:39:09 -0500

At 04:05 PM 9/10/98 -0400, Brian D Harper wrote:
>Uh, Joseph, Yockey estimated no such thing. What he estimated was
>that there were about 10^90 functionally equivalent iso-1-cytochrome c
>molecules. A number somewhat larger than your one wouldn't you
>say?

A correction. Yockey suggested that there were 9.7 x 10^93 functionally
equivalent cytochrome c's. Hubert Yockey, Information Theory and Molecular
Biology, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992), p. 59.

You are shy by about a factor of 10 thousand, but that confirms your point
against Joseph's position. Joseph what about it?

>BTW, no one proposes that bacterial flagellum arise by chance, so
>your probability calculation is totally eroneous.
>
>> I prefer L in shirts but I have no use for a dozen let alone a
>>billion. If you can find financing, the world economy will have a
>>prosperous 21st century.
>> A billion to one is Dawkins' estimate for the spontaneous generation of
>>a cell from the primordial soup (see The Blind Watchmaker).
>> Scientists don't bet on a cause unless the odds are 20+ to one in their
>>favor. What do you, Tim, call someone who bets when it is 10^90 to one
>>or even only 1 billion to one against him?
>
>Brian Harper
>Associate Professor
>Applied Mechanics
>The Ohio State University
>
>"It appears to me that this author is asking
>much less than what you are refusing to answer"
>-- Galileo (as Simplicio in _The Dialogue_)

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood