Re: Petersen's Book

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:50:37 -0600

Janet Miller & Glenn R. Morton wrote:

> > Although I am persuaded that Petersen is fundamentally correct I
> would >certainly like to see a careful and sober assessment of his thesis
> by someone >more expert than I in these matters. The key words here are, of
> course, >"careful" and "sober". Whether any such assessment will ever be
> forthcoming >remains to be seen.
>
> I don't know what you mean by careful and sober, but loess is thickest
> nearest rivers which carried glacial outwash. Within a few miles the loess
> thins to nearly nothing in many cases.

Hi Glenn and Janet,

As a geologist who has been labelled by Glenn and others as a YEC, I
would have to say that what I have seen from Glenn on loess strikes me
as right on target. Incidentally, Glenn and John, I appreciate the kind
and encouraging words from you recently. And yes, Glenn, you of course
have my full respect (even if you are incorrect about some things :-))

> And I would remind you again that my preconception was AGAINST
> uniformitarianism, not in favor of it. Only after examining the evidence
> did I change my view. Do you think I am lying to you about this?

I'm not sure Janet feels that you would lie. She's apparently a little
frustrated though that no knowledgeable person has stepped up to defend
Petersen. I had initially thought I would read the book to see if I
could find any common ground with Petersen, but you've pretty well
convinced me that it would be a waste of time I don't have to begin
with.

Bill