Re: Another Radiometric Challenge

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 21:14:32 -0500

Hi David,

At 05:07 PM 9/4/98 GMT, David J. Tyler wrote:
By applying a dextral global torsion
>(by 34 degrees) he closes these chasms. These changes are all linked
>to Tethyan widening. In this model, hot spots are not required, and
>the volcanism is mainly contemporaneous.
>
>And what of the radiometric dates? Carey writes:
>"Plate tectonicists place much emphasis on the decrease in the ages of
>the volcanic rocks along the Emperor and Hawaiian ridges, and
>interpret them in terms of motion of the Pacific "plate" over a
>"hotspot" fixed in the mantle. But these ages record the times at
>which volcanism _terminated_. The lavas at Hawaii are 12 km thick. I
>suggest that the lava at the base is very much older than those
>measured at the surface, perhaps as old as any in the Emperor Ridge."
>(page 321).
>
>The least that can be said about this is that there is here an
>alternative model - and I am a great believer in the evaluation of
>multiple models! I wonder how many geoscientists have considered
>Carey's explanation?

As you are aware, I have considered Carey's earlier model. This one on
global torsion would require an external force as near as I can see. You
are talking about placing a differential torque on the crust of the earth.
I don't see how the plastic mantle and core could do that.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood