RE: The main issue between Theistic Naturalists and Theistic Realists (was God could have ...)

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:25:38 -0500

Stephen,

If you ever learn to be much more intellectually careful and precise, you
will be an effective advocate for your views. In the meantime, your
messages are painful to read. So often, -so- often you settle on statements
that are rhetorically appealing, but just misstate things miserably. I'm
afraid this is more of the same in that respect.

Aside from misunderstandings and bizarre assertions (-one-
example: -Christian- evolutionists make "*naturalistic metaphysical
assumptions*" [your emphasis]), you ask a question that I'll answer:

What are the main issues between Theistic Evolutionists/Evolutionary
Creationists on the one hand, and Progressive Creationists/"Theistic
Realists" on the other?

Here's what comes to my mind:

(1) Is evolutionary theory a -plausible- or even -physically -possible--
explanation for the development (and perhaps also origin) of all life? ECs:
typically yes, typically yes*; PCs no, often no.
(2) Is it proper to restrict explanations in natural science to natural
forces and objects? Or to ask it another way, is it IMproper to include
divine, miraculous intervention -in theories of natural science-? ECs: yes;
PCs, No (if they consider PC to be a purely scientific theory) or probably
Yes (if they don't).
(3) Is it critically important to Xian theology that Adam and Eve (a) be the
literal first and only biological parents of the entire human race, and (b)
have no animal ancestry? ECs: -typically- no (but sometimes yes), and no;
PCs: typically yes, and typically yes.

There are other issues too (nature of the fall, general reading of Genesis
1-3), but these are the three most important that come to my mind right now.

--John

*How could an EC answer these no?? Simply if he takes EC to be his approach
to science, but suspects it may not be true, or may not even be physically
possible. He may consider it to be by far the best or only useful
scientific theory, but probably not the ultimate truth: perhaps PC might be
true, e.g., but not scientifically worthwhile. (This is analogous to a
brain researcher who believes some sort of dualism is -true- but
scientifically -useless-, at least right now.)