Re: Petersen's New Insights, Glenn Morton's free China trip

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:25:48 -0500

At 09:46 AM 9/3/98 -0700, Joseph Mastropaolo wrote:
>The bargain is sealed. The protocol is as follows:(1) The loess nodules
>the size of a sweet potato with the snails and embedded mud, as
>illustrated in Petersen's plates 35-40, will be observed as they are
>being deposited at the rate of several mm/yr by the wind in China.

Why did you leave out the next paragraph? Do you not read well?

I wrote:
"Secondly, you didn't read what Derbyshire wrote. He said loess was
forming at several mm/yr, he didn't say anything about the nodules."

I clearly was referring to the loess not the nodules and you are being
deceptive in switching to nodules. Obviously neither I nor Derbyshire is
saying anything about the nodules. I said that we could see see the loess
being deposited and this has been pointed out to you both by me and Pim.
Because of your misreading and equivocation of the nodules for the loess
our deal is off.

(2)
>The expense money, $10,000 from Joseph Mastropaolo and $10,000 from
>Glenn Morton, will be deposited in escrow by 1 October 1998 with
>instructions stating that if (1) is observed Morton collects the $20,000
>and if (1) is not observed then Mastropaolo collects the $20,000.

No deal. I am and have been clearly referring to the loess and you know it.

But if you want to change this to a deal that we can see a loess nodule
form out of nowhere right before our eyes, I might reconsider.

By the way, since you don't seem to be able to support your views, I think
I will end this conversation. You are an excellent example of the danger of
ignoring observation. I will think of you often.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood