RE: Behe's Irreducible Complexity Squared

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:17:28 -0500

Joseph,

It might be better to say that X's being irreducibly complex implies that X
requires a more circuitous, and hence less likely, evolutionary pathway.

E.g., Dawkins uses the non-biological example of an arch. It's undeniably
irreducibly complex -- pull out any stone and the whole thing collapses.
And yet it's -possible- for one to "evolve" from a pile of stones if one is
lucky, if the right stones get washed away in a stream, e.g. This comes not
by building up to an arch, but by "building down" from a pile of stones.

It may be that similar things happen in biological evolution. If it's
possible to biologically "build down" (as I'd sure think it would be), then
it seems possible to get irreducibly complex systems evolutionarily.

Of course, this is an argument of -possibility-, not probability or
certainty. I'm not at all claiming this is proof that IC systems
weren't -in fact- miraculously "nanoengineered".

And I certainly agree that the origin of the cell and abiogensis are
enormous and utterly unsolved challenges for evolutionary theory. There's
speculation, but nothing at all concrete, SFAIK, anyway. (Presumably, if
evolutionary theory is correct, the first cell was substantially less
sophisticated than the most simple or primitive surviving cells today --
survival of the fittest, after all -- but it's not clear how much that
buys.)

--John