Re: Other Evolution Types

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@calvin.edu)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:15:03 -0400

At 10:03 AM 9/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I have been trying to find papers on evolution of plants. Since
>they had to exist before any animal life (blue green algae), what type of
>evolution the went through.
>
>There must be some proof of how a mineral becomes a plant and then a plant
>an animal.
>
>Any sites with this data?
>
>Any info will be appreciated.
>

>Thanks.
>

>Dario Giraldo
>Lacey, Washington

I think you would benefit by perusing a good historical geology textbook
before
attempting to read any technical papers (blue-green algae aren't really
plants,
they're a type of bacteria!). May I recommend:

Levin, H.L. 1996. The Earth Through Time. Saunders College Publishing.

I used it to teach Historical Geology last spring and it does briefly
discuss the
evolution of the early prokaryotes (Kingdom Monera) into everything we see
today
(and includes a list of supplemental readings at the end of each chapter).

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies   Calvin College, 2301 Burton Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546   sschimmr@calvin.edu (office) / schimmri@earthlink.net (home)   616-957-7053, 616-957-6501 (fax)    http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/