Re: Increasing Complexity

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 03:17:51 -0700

Brian D Harper wrote:

> 3) Is there a general trend (with a few possible exceptions)
> towards increasing complexity during evolution?

> This question is very controversial. My own opinion is yes and
> I suspect the majority of evolutionists might also say yes.
> There are notable individuals (Steve Gould) who argue in the
> negative though.

The only quantifiable aspect of complexity I know of is number
of parts. In this limited sense segmented organisms (such as
vertebrates) are decreasing in complexity. Of course complexity
in every other sense may be increasing; but even so, this apparent
pattern brings a non-Darwinian implication of finitude to the process.

-- Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com