RE: Age of the Earth

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 20:36:17 -0500

At 08:02 PM 8/27/98 -0500, Andrew wrote:

>> [mailto:evolution-owner@udomo2.calvin.edu]On Behalf Of Glenn R. Morton
>
>> The pressure in oil wells is kept in by capillary pressure not in the way
>> that Young-earthers calculate it. They use permeability and ignore
>> capillary pressure.
>
>I easily understand the action of permeability. But, what is the
>mechanism behind capilary pressure in oil deposits?

Capillary pressure comes from surface tension on the oil/water interface.
You can see the curved surface on water in a small tube--this is the same
phenomenon. In small pore throats such as exist between the rock grains,
the surface tension can hold back up to a 1500 foot column of hydrocarbon.
I performed these calculations last May at work and they are up there so
this is from memory. We use this information to search for oil and gas in
the shallow part of the geologic column where there is some doubt about the
ability of the rocks to trap hydrocarbons.

>> "Subsequent searches have now found a total of 23
>> trans-neptunian objects,
>> 12 of them beyond 40 AU. Jewitt and Luu (along with several co-workers)
>> have continued to be the leaders in the search for Kuiper belt objects,
>
>The Kuiper belt has become a cheap substitute for the Oort cloud. And,
>even either a massive Kuiper built or Oort cloud, comit activity would
>have been exponentially greater in the past. I don't know many Evolutionsts
>who want to tackle that idea.

I can't believe any creationist would want to tackle the meteor evidence.
Everyone believes that there was lots more cratering in the past.
Evolutionists believe it occurred several billion years ago. Look at the
moon. If the universe is only 6000 years old and the moon is as highly
cratered as it is, the earth, with the larger gravitational field would
have captured even more meteors and comets, meaning that we should find
even more cratering. And given that even one large meteor could
exterminate life, how could Noah survive hundreds of thousands of LARGE
meteors coming in during a single year?

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood