RE: 5.5 mya Mediterranean Flood coup de grace? (was An Evil Fruit)

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:13:22 -0500

Stephen wrote:

> Since Hsu says it would take "more than 100 years" to fill the
> Mediterranean "at a rate of 10,000 cubic miles per year" (Hsu, 1972,
> p33), to fill it "in a year" would require a rate of 1,000,000 cubic
> miles per year! That is 2,739.7 cubic miles a day, 114.1 cubic miles
> an hour or 1.9 cubic miles a second.

This is a very clearly presented objection. For that, Stephen, I am
genuinely grateful -- this is the style of presentation we need to make
progress.

But there's an -extremely- basic error in your "coup de grace" posts: how
many seconds are there in an hour? You assume 60 rather than 3600.

Doing your math correctly, the result would be .03 mi^3/s, not 1.9 mi^3/s.

You might not want to talk about death blows until you have a third party
check your arguments.