Re: Theta vs. Phi

Brent Jablonski (Brent@PCOnline.com)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 22:17:37 -0500

Brendan Frost wrote:

> P.S. for Bible infallibilistes---where does the Bible
> give its notoriously incorrect definition of pi as 3?
> An orders-of-magnitude worse estimate than the
> Bablyonian value of 1,000 yrs previous....

"He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits
from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits
to measure around it." (1 Kings 7:23)

Rather than being a definition of pi, the ten-cubit dimension is an
inside diameter, and the circumference is around the outside. The
~1-inch thickness of the basin wall makes the difference.

Pim van Meurs Wrote:

>Yes one can always find a way to explain away the difference. Too bad that
the original text could not have been clearer about this.

Yes, secondary assumptions can be a useful crutch, as I'm sure you're aware
from your own work.