Re: An Evil Fruit

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:34:38 -0500

Hi Vernon,

At 10:34 PM 8/1/98 +0100, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

>I don't follow your logic here. There was surely safe ground on the
>northern rim of the Med; and the idea of God instructing Noah to build
>an ark in these circumstances can surely be interpreted as a divine
>joke! It is a great weakness in your theory.

It is not a weakness in my theory just a weakness in my ability to
communicate everything at once. At the time when the Mediterranean was
dry, there was little moisture going north either. It also was a very dry
place, albeit not quite as dry as the other direction.

"The presence of a hot desert where the Mediterranean Sea is now should
have had a serious climatic impact. Indeed, European paleontologists have
noticed that there was a change toward aridity in central Europe during the
late Miocene, when the Vienna woods were turned into steppes. With the
return of marine waters to the Mediterranean in the Pliocene Epoch, the
central European climate became wet and cold and deteriorated gradually
into the ice age." ~ Kenneth J. Hsu, The Mediterranean was a Desert,
(Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1983), p. 176.

>> I would cite a verse Christians don't like and Henry Morris only >quotes
the first phrase:
>>Isaiah 45: 7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and
>>create evil: I the LORD do all these things. God claims credit for
>disasters/evil.
>
>Yes, I believe that, for He holds everything in His hands. The purpose
>of this life, as I understand it, is to prepare those who will to be
>perfected by Him and become more like His Son, so that they may be able
>to enjoy eternal life with Him. In love, He chastises those who love
>Him. We Christians can expect no easy passage.

If you believe this, then you can't claim that God wouldn't use evolution
because it is cruel. It is cruel (from our understanding) to give cancer to
a child.

>> If the flood were anthroppologically universal (that is killed all but
>8 humans), then all the descendants of Noah would have the flood >stories
passed down to them. THis is the same explanation you have. >What is the
problem?

>There is no problem. On reflection, the point I was making really isn't
>valid.

I much appreciate the honesty here. Thank you.

>> Can you then explain the quantity of CO2 put into the atmosphere via
>the volcanism. You earlier claimed that you cared about the >observational
data so please explain the data.

>Before I can comment, I should have to study the data in depth.

I can understand that. There are lots of problems like this that advocates
of the global flood not only don't explain but many of them don't even know
of the existence of the problem. I know of only one creationist book that
even mentions the volcanism problem--only ONE. That says to me that YEC
apologists are not doing their homework and are not advancing their cause
by solving the difficulties. I would suggest that they are not trying to
solve their difficulties.

>> Yes, their theory fits the facts, those who fight against it are >forced
to deny the observational data before their own eyes, which then >makes
Christians look like ostriches.

>I am wondering whether the observed facts might not be explained in some
>other way. The Lord's warning regarding 'Evil Fruit' still rings in my
>ears. Concerning those matters which help us follow the Lord's
>admonition to love Him, and love one another, I see evolution as
>completely negative, ie it yields no 'good fruit'.

Define good fruit. You know I remember the early 60s down here in the
south. We had a really bad race problem. I also remember that it was
predominantly the liberals (those who statistically would more likely have:
believed in evolution; been atheists; etc) who championed the rights of the
blacks in the South. I specifically remember Christian churches excluding
blacks from the pews and turning them away from the church house door. Some
churches refused to have services if a Black man walked in. The church I
went to at the time was united in their response to the question of what to
do if a black showed up.
Don't let him in. This hypocrisy was part of the reason why I left the
church for a while in my teens.

So tell me, why were the evolutionists (those evil fruit trees) able to
produce the good fruit in supporting the human rights of their fellow man
and the 'good-fruit trees' weren't? I simply don't understand this.

>> I don't know what you are talking about. I must have missed >something.
Can you explain this again if you have already done it. I >apologize for
missing what you said.

>I was obviously mistaken in my belief that you scanned all incoming
>emails for interesting material. You will find what I had in mind in the
>earlier communication, sent this evening.

I do, but they don't always come in in the order I reply to them. Nor do I
always read them in the order in which they arrive.

>> I believe that God created the universe. Why do you think I don't.
>God designed and brought the entire shebang into existence. WHat I
>disagree with you about is that God did it the way you claim.
>
>I have no doubt at all that you are a committed believer. However, we
>shall have to agree to differ as to the manner in which it was done.
>
>By the way, I'm working through the material on your site. You appear to
>have just one account of an intermediate. Are you really convinced that
>such creatures can be viable?

Yes they were viable. There are several examples of ichthyostega and of
acanthostega. My understanding is that there is only one greerepeton and a
few of the others.

As to only having one, I felt that that was the most important one to have.
I could do whales also. Are you aware that only two groups of animals
ever had a peculiar set of curved little hooves on each digit? These are
the mesonychids and the earliest whales who evolved from them. Those
hooves are evidence (among other skeletal data) of a transitional sequence.

And where is the evidence among the strata
>of the complete geologic column you offer?

I don't understand your question. I outlined the existence of rocks of
every single age in an oil well drilled in North Dakota which drilled all
the way to the precambiran. What do you think is missing?

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood