RE: Hugh Ross

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:00:23 -0500

I'd like to thank Glenn for posting these sad notes. The message, prima
facie, speaks of an unpleasant truth, but one we need to deal with.

It's good to have weak people survive -- their value is not determined by
their utility.

But when it comes to theories and ideologies, brutality is sometimes
necessary. Weak -ideas- should -not- survive, and intellectually serious
Christians need to develop the rigor and courage to engage them head-on,
even, perhaps especially, when they're espoused by fellow Christians,
and -most- especially when they're espoused in the name of Christ.

Too often, Christians either don't do that (I think of a lack of aggressive
critiques of certain televangelists, e.g. -- why does it take the Amazing
Randi to publicly expose frauds? Because we shouldn't judge, it reaches
some people, don't want to hurt feelings, etc.), or do it very sloppily
(confidence comes not only from knowledge, but also ignorance), each of
which does real harm. I'd like to thank Glenn and some others on this list
for putting their knowledge to good, if sometimes unpleasant, use in service
of the kingdom.

As a philosophy prof of mine at Wheaton often said, "All truth is God's
truth." Thinking Christians, and even more, -speaking- thinking Christians,
must always -humbly- carry this conviction in their hearts and minds, and
have the competence and courage to act on it properly.

--John